u-blox C030-U201 IoT Starter Kit
The u-blox C030-U201 2G/3G mbed-enabled Internet of Things (IoT) Starter Kit is a versatile development platform that allows quick prototyping of a variety of applications for low-power Internet of Things (IoT).
u-blox SARA-U201 HSPA/GSM Module¶
- Global 2G/3G coverage
- 2G Bands: 850, 900, 1800, 1900
- 3G Bands: 800, 850, 900, 1900, 2100
u-blox MAX-M8C Concurrent GNSS Receiver Module¶
- Receives up to 3 GNSS technology out of GPS, Galileo, GLONASS, and BeiDou
STMicroelectronics STM32F437VG MCU¶
- High-performance ARM® Cortex™-M4 running up to 180MHz
- 1024 KB on-chip Flash
- 256 KB on-chip SRAM + 4 KB Battery backed up on-chip SRAM
- 192 KB of on-chip SRAM for Application use
- 64 KB of on-chip SRAM as Closely Coupled Fast RAM
- 10/100 Mbps Ethernet MAC
- Cryptographic acceleration for Internet message protocols
- True random number generation, CRC calculation unit
Interfaces and Electrical Data¶
- Integrated eUICC including International Data Roaming Cellular Connectivity by JT® JTGlobal with 50Mbytes of data for the first 90 days
- On-board ST-Link/V2-1 debugger/programmer with SWD connector
- micro USB with mbed Interface
- ST-Link/V2-1 standalone development and debug capability
- USB re-enumeration; Virtual COM port, Mass Storage Device and Debug Port
- 5V from ST-Link/V2-1 Debug USB VBUS, 3.3V operation
- (CMSIS-DAP variant of the FW with extended features will be available in the future)
- On-board TI® bq24295 Single Cell LiPo Battery Charger and TI® bq27441-G1 Battery Fuel Gauge
- Molex® SPOX™ 5268-03A LiPo Battery connector. Supports battery types like BAK –LP-503759-IS-3 (battery is not included)
- On-board SiLabs® CP2105 USB to Dual UART Bridge as Serial USB Sniffer
- Alternative to ST-Link/V2-1 Virtual COM Port when ST-LINK/V2-1 is not used/available
- Alternative to Main Supply and Debug USB 5V VBUS inputs
- Sniffing serial communication between the Host MCU and the Cellular Module
- Drivers could be downloaded from here
- RGB User LED, and two push buttons: User and Reset
- SDCard Socket for file storage
- SMA RF connectors for 50 Ohm Cellular and GNSS Active antennas
- Ethernet RJ45 connector
- Arduino® UNO R3 compatible header connector with
- 6 analog inputs,
- 8 PWM capable outputs,
- 22 GPIOs,
- 1 x SPI,
- 1 x I2C,
- 1 x UART with HW flow control option (RTS, CTS)
external power supply and/or LiPo battery is recommended
Due to the USB current limitation, optimal RF performance can be achieved only by supplying the board either through the "Aux 5V USB" connector or the VIN pin of the Arduino® UNO R3 interface. Other alternative is to use a LiPo Battery connected through the "LiPo Battery" connector. Please refer to Power Supply and LiPo Battery section below.
International Data Roaming by JT¶
The C030-U201 IoT Starter Kits come with International Data Roaming bundled with 50 MBytes of data for the first 3 months .
The International Data Roaming service is provided by JT . To turn on the International Data Roaming service, please register your board's eUICC(Embedded SIM) IMSI through JT IoT Registration web site.
How to find C030-U201 IMSI Number
The eUICC(Embedded SIM) IMSI number is written on the label at the back of the C030-U201. The IMSI number is also coded on the QR-Code label on top of the Ethernet connector of the C030-U201.
If the IMSI number cannot be read from these labels, the example program for reading the modem IMEI and eUICC/SIM IMSI could be used. The example prints out the IMEI and IMSI numbers of the board to the serial debug console.
Power Supply and LiPo Battery¶
During the RF transactions, SARA-U201 module of C030-U201 Application Board demands higher currents than a USB 2.0 Master Port could provide. If the C030-U201 Application Board is powered from a single USB 2.0 port, a Brown Out could be experienced during RF transactions. This situation is observed as premature board reset and/or application interruption. To overcome such situation, the C030-U201 Application Board could be powered with a high current PSU through purpose built "Aux 5V USB" connector. Another, solution is to connect a LiPo battery to the "LiPo Battery Connector"
C030 Application Board User Guide
C030-U201 Application Board Schematics
Module current instrumentation
There are provisional current instrumentation circuits for both Cellular and GNSS modules. Currently,the instrumentation functions are not utilized and supported