Could not install USB serial port installer

23 Mar 2010

Hi,

I downloaded and installed TeraTerm. However my windows XP Media Center Edition 2002 Service Pack 2 does not think that serial port installer.exe is not a valid win32 application.

What do I do now?  Help!

Thanks,

Victor

23 Mar 2010

Sounds like the download went bad. Try another browser. What's the exact byte size of the downloaded exe?

23 Mar 2010

Hi,

I have a copy of the drivers here that I downloaded and I know works, and Windows reports it as 594kB (608,768 bytes);

To be more complete, I also just downloaded md5sum for windows from http://www.pc-tools.net/win32/md5sums and ran it on the driver installer :

MD5sums 1.2 freeware for Win9x/ME/NT/2000/XP+
Copyright (C) 2001-2005 Jem Berkes - http://www.pc-tools.net/
Type md5sums.exe -h for help

[Path] / filename                              MD5 sum
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[C:\Documents and Settings\cstyles\Desktop\]
mbedWinSerial_16466.exe                    7d70a0f39778771fed9e45c1f1a4b60e

If you continue to have problems you can make sure the downloaded was successful.

Hope that helps,
Chris

23 Mar 2010

Hi,

We've seen a few reports of incorrect downloads now, so suspecting some browsers/oses are getting confused with the way we were serving the files (from our svn infrastructure), we've moved the files to a generic download area. The following pages have been updated to reflect this, so please try again:

There really should be no problem now; it'd be great if you could report back if this solves your problem.

Thanks,
Simon

23 Mar 2010

Hi Victor,

This seems to be a longstanding issue. I posted the entry below on 25 November 2009 to the forum topic windows 7 serial USB driver.

------------------------------

Hi John,

I had the same problem.

I downloaded the driver to my local disk, virus checked it and then went to install it. It would not install. However, it worked when I installed it directly from the web site by double clicking the object.

Paul

-----------------------------

Hope this helps.

Paul