Where did my files go?

24 Nov 2009

I had a project in the online IDE to which I added a couple of new files. Everything went fine until I went to another computer... and saw only main.cpp! (IDE was running there too... that could be the source of the problem?) Strangely, everything compiled fine with no errors, but no amount of closing/expanding the tree or re-loggging in could show the new file. Export command also exported only main.cpp. Today I logged in at the original PC and the new files are not visible here too :/ If I try to publish it, I get a "Published program:" (yes, empty name) in my activity and no new entries in "Programs" tab...

Something really weird is going on, but the main question is: can I recover my files? I assume yes, since apparently the back-end compiler does see them. They're not big and I could write them again but I think this bug should be fixed...

24 Nov 2009

Hi Igor,

We've just investigated this and it seems a project named "DC-SS..." has got mixed up during a build or edit, with the result being the IDE file browser wouldn't see two files called "MMC...". Can you confirm this is the project you are having problems with?

If so, we'll just fix it for you and you should be back to normal. Will then put a ticket in to see where it got confused. btw, did you use "Save As..." at the time, as there is a bug that has been reported in that function which might somehow be related?

Thanks,
Simon

24 Nov 2009

Yes, that's the project in question. I don't think I've used Save As, but now that you mention it I did use Rename (MMC212xM.h -> MMCx12xM.h).

24 Nov 2009

Should be fixed now!

24 Nov 2009

Thanks, all good now.

09 Dec 2009

I have run into this issue as well.  Luckily I had saved my extra files.  To recover, I delete my program, make a new one then copy my original files back in.  This works until I log out of mbed.org and later re-enter the Complier to find the files missing again.  It doesn't do this for all of my programs, but it is consistent for the programs it does this to.

...kevin

09 Dec 2009

Hi Kevin,

If you have a way to reproduce this problem, can you email it to support@mbed.org and we'll ensure it gets fixed.

Thanks!
Simon

09 Apr 2011

I have a different problem - I was getting "comfortable" rearranging some code from one file into another. I was selecting blocks of code, copying and then pasting into another file. A dialog popped up and I blindly stroked <enter> - and poof, my target file was gone.

I quickly browsed for backups - I had not exported from this project. I looked to see if there was version control under my files - and it appears that is only a wish list item.

Are my files from my "A_CANAdapter" now a piece of history?

15 Jul 2011

Hello, I had the same experience as David. I was cutting and pasting between main and another file and had just copied a block then went back to main to delete the copied block that was still highlighted and boom... main was gone completly... no back up all work gone. Fortunately some of it was copied to the new file where I was pasting but much was lost. I think that the issue is that when I went from the target file following the paste back to main to delete the highlited block I had clicked main to swith but had not clicked within main so it was selected at the 'File' level not the 'text' level dispite the fact that it showed the text highlited. The delete then removed main not the highlited text in main. I am afraid of this now.. I was not using revision control at the time and did not have backup off system. I will from now on but this was a painful lesson. There just has to be an undo function for such things.

Thanks, Louis Ashford

16 Jul 2011

Louis, if you haven't seen it yet, please see this. This is the reproducible case for the problem I had - and as far as I can tell, it has been fixed as noted there. You may have found a new scenario, and if you can identify a reproducible sequence, I'm sure they'll address it quickly.