Windows USB serial port windows 2000

26 May 2009

What are the chances of a version of Windows USB Serial Port Installer (mbedWinSerial_14195.exe) that runs on windows 2000 server?

This would make my mbed life a lot simpler...

JF

27 May 2009

Hi John,

We don't support it, but i've just zipped up something you can try:

Download http://mbed.co.uk/projects/handbook/svn/win2000/mbedSerial.zip

Unzip to get the .sys and .inf files

Use whatever win2000 standard driver install mechanism is (via control panel?), and point it at the .inf file.

Hopefully, it might just work :) 

Please record how you get on! We'll have to get hold of a win2000 box if it works and do some proper testing.

Simon

28 May 2009

It has installed sucessfully, just as you said through the Control panel ->Add/Remove Hardware ->Add A new device -> Com Serial Port -> Have Disk -> Browse to .inf file

But I have loaned the hardware to my colleague, so It doesn't show up as a port.

I'll keep you posted..

29 May 2009

Just got my hardware back - and it works a treat.

I was worried for a bit, as the laptop running win2000 was showing NO serial ports whatever,
but having plugged the board in, "com4 mbed Serial Port (COM4)" appeared, and works well withTeraterm

Well done. Thanks

JF

08 Jan 2011

Most thought W2K was long since gone, but I too have one that just keeps chugging away in the lab. I tried the link, but that part of the repository requires FILE_VIEW privileges, which I seem not to have. Could the mbedSerial.zip be made available again? - Dave

09 Jan 2011

Hi David,

You need to be logged in to access that file, so can you check again confirming you are logged in. If it fails even when you are logged in, get back to us and we'll post it somewhere else.

Simon

09 Jan 2011 . Edited: 09 Jan 2011

I also get the "FILE_VIEW privileges are required to perform this operation on Path /win2000/mbedSerial.zip@141" message, and I am definitely logged in.

Mike

09 Jan 2011

Hi David, Mike,

You are right, it is in an old area we've now disabled. Here is the file you are after:

• mbedserial.zip - raw driver/config files for mbed windows serial driver

As mentioned in my original post, we really only officially support Win XP onwards, but it should work.

Hope that gets you going! Simon

09 Jan 2011

Many thanks -- I have an old laptop that may new get reuse ... :-)

09 Jan 2011

I gave the drivers a try - unfortunately no success on my W2K box. I did a bit of investigation, which I detailed here. Perhaps Mike had better success.