New compiler available in betamode

18 Jun 2010 . Edited: 18 Jun 2010

Hi,

There is a new beta version of the mbed compiler available.

A quick summary of the changes:

• Folder views
  • Improved drag and drop
  • Assorted bugfixes, including copy/paste
  • Performance improvements
  • Workspace manager
As ever, to enable betamode, visit http://mbed.org/betamode/ .

Any and all feedback is welcome!

Dan

With beta mode, the mbed folder under projects do not have the expand option to let us check the mbed api.

OSx 10.6.4

Safari 5.0 (6533.16)

First time I went to the compiler after enabling beta mode my processor type was set to the 2368 which I do not even have.  Once I changed it all was well, even on later visits as well as with different browsers.

18 Jun 2010

Same problems as Tiago and Matthew (Vista with IE8).

I did notice a big improvement in switching between source files (after they are initially loaded). Much improved - thanks!

18 Jun 2010

Thanks for the bug reports - looks like there are still some issues to work out with this release before it's ready!

20 Jun 2010 . Edited: 20 Jun 2010

Hello,

I have spotted a problem with the programs' description on Workspace manager. It seems that sometimes, it is not updating the description after doing changes. Also, sometimes it is assigning the description to another program. This is happening only to the Workspace manager, not to the actual programs. Though, after a compiler refresh, everything is as should be.

I have tested it, 6-7 times but only 2 times I seen this problem (I am using chrome on Ubuntu 10.04). Every time though, after the compiler was refreshed, everything was fine.

Hope it helps.

20 Jun 2010 . Edited: 20 Jun 2010

There seems to be an issue with USB Serial in the beta version of the compiler.

If I compile the following code with the current compiler I get "Connected to mBed..." out of the USB port.

If I compile it with the beta compiler I get nothing out of the USB port. Well, there might be something coming out but it is not at 230400 baud.

<code snip>

#include "mbed.h"

#include "CAN.h"

#define TRUE 1

#define FALSE 0

DigitalOut led1(LED1);

DigitalOut led2(LED2);

DigitalOut led3(LED3);

DigitalOut led4(LED4);

// Setup CAN1 Controller, MSCAN 125K

CAN can1(p9, p10);

// Setup CAN2 Controller, HSCAN 500K

CAN can2(p30, p29);

// Setup USB Serial Port

Serial pc(USBTX, USBRX); // tx, rx

int main()

{

char MessageFoundCAN1;

char MessageFoundCAN2;

int TimeStampCAN1;

int TimeStampCAN2;

CANMessage CAN1_MsgRx;  // Message reception on CAN1

CANMessage CAN2_MsgRx;  // Message reception on CAN2

Timer FreeRunningTimer;  //Free running timer for CAN message stamp

// USB Serail Port baud rate

pc.baud(230400);

// CAN1, MSCAN, 125kbit/s

can1.frequency(125000);

// CAN2, HSCAN, 500kbit/s

can2.frequency(500000);

/****** Program Starts Here *******/

pc.printf("Connected to mBed...\n\r");

21 Jun 2010 . Edited: 21 Jun 2010

Have you checked that your target is LPC1768 (top right of the bar in the editor). When you switch to Beta Mode, is defaults to LPC2368, which won't run on an LPC1768. (Or vice versa).

I also managed to sort of replicate this: I managed to compile OK with 230400 baud, and it worked. However, when I changed to baud rate back to the normal 9600, it didn't. We will investigate.

09 Jul 2010

Hi all,

We have another version of the site now ready for beta previews.

Summary of changes over current live:

• Compiler program workspace management
  • Compiler upgraded to RVDS 4.1 from 4.0
  • Auto documentation of published programs
  • New wiki published program macros (As yet undocumented , but the basic syntax is <<program url-of-published-program>> ) This works for extracting snippets of documentation also.
There's still one or two issues I'd like to work out before this is released, and any feedback from this round of beta testing will be incorporated into those last minute fixes if possible, so give it a good going over and let us know your thoughts.
Thanks!
10 Jul 2010

As an example of the documentation generator, i've just published a simple Motor driver library to show how the documentation works and gets displayed.

If you look at /users/simon/programs/Motor/latest/docs/, you'll see it has rendered API documentation for me, and I can view both the code and the API documentation it generates:

The markup uses Doxygen, using the standard /** markup and @param parameter notation as used by javadoc. Have a play and see how you get on!

Simon

10 Jul 2010

Simon, The links above 404 for me?

11 Jul 2010

Hi Andy,

Remember you need to have the site in betamode to see this stuff; we haven't put it on the live site yet.

That should make it work for you.

Simon