hour glass mouse icon

06 Jun 2012

I have a slight problem in the IDE that the mouse icon keeps the shape of hour glass all over the IDE window. it changes to insert text icon when point to black colour piece of code i.e. function names, commands etc., while it remains in the hour glass shape when hover over the coloured piece of code i.e. data type, key words, strings, values etc.
I am using the Google chrome browser.
This small thing is irritating me, is it same for others or something is wrong here. I would appreciate if sum1 can help....

ATif

06 Jun 2012

Not the same for me, both Chrome and IE8 show a normal cursor.

Muhammad Atif Yaqub wrote:

I am using the Google chrome browser.
This small thing is irritating me, is it same for others or something is wrong here. I would appreciate if sum1 can help....

ATif

06 Jun 2012

It is the same for me also, and has been for a while. I am using Chrome on Vista (v20.0.1132.21 beta-m). IE9 does not exhibit the same behaviour.

06 Jun 2012

Yes i have also the same problem, so i have change to the FireFox browser

06 Jun 2012

Thanks! Added to our list to investigate...

-deleted-
06 Jun 2012

Hi ATif, all,

I'm unable to reproduce the issue on Win/Chrome 19.0.1084.52 and Mac/Chrome 18.x.
Could you please describe when does the pointer turn to hourglass - is it from the very start of the Compiler or after particular sequence of actions (file open/save, import, commit, etc)?
A more detailed description would be very helpful to quickly identify the issue and fix it for everyone.
Thanks in advance!

M.

06 Jun 2012

PROBLEM SOLVED:

PROBLEM: For me, I have the hourglass (in Vista its actually a rotating wheel) from the very start of using the compiler. I can still click and select things. It is only NOT an hourglass when over black code, so it is an hourglass when over red, blue, pink or green coloured code, or over any buttons or links outside the code frame.

DIAGNOSIS: I use a number of Chrome extensions and disabling AdBlock 2.5.34 makes the problem disappear.

SOLUTION: Add "mbed.org" as an exception to AdBlock using the "Show ads on a webpage or domain" option on the "Customize" tab.

06 Jun 2012

That would explain what I saw! I saw this issue about a month ago and then when I read this thread, I tried to reproduce it but to no avail. Turns out that I had removed AdBlock since the last time I saw the issue.

-deleted-
07 Jun 2012

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the solution!
I'm going to install AdBlock for Chrome and investigate what's "bugging" it, and why it has "misunderstandings" with the Compiler.
I'll post an update as soon as I have something solid.

M.

-deleted-
14 Jun 2012

Hi everyone,

We investigated the issue in the past couple of days and came to conclusion that the AdBlock addon changes the Chrome browser behavior in a way that it breaks Chrome's W3C compliance regarding CSS definitions as DOM objects.

Nevertheless, for the unsuspecting user it would seem that the issue is caused by the mbed Compiler and so we developed a different approach on how to display the busy state of the Compiler during a lengthy operation.
The solution is now applied against the current Collaboration beta, which you can test as we speak if you have applied already (more about the beta - http://mbed.org/blog/entry/Collaboration-beta-trials-starting-now/ ).
If you haven't applied yet, you can do by following the instructions in the blog post or disable the AdBlock addon for the mbed.org resources until the public release of the Collaboration beta.

Once again, thanks to Scott for the diagnosis and the solution, which guided us in the right direction to find a workaround for the issue that the AdBlock addon causes.

M.