Standard runtime library headers

31 Aug 2012

Where on earth do I find the the headers for the C, and C++ libraries that are used by the online compiler ?

TIA

31 Aug 2012
31 Aug 2012

Nope, those are the mbed patform HAL and services C++ wrapper library headers. I'm looking for the headers like stdlib, stdout, time, etc...

01 Sep 2012

Hi Neal,

The c libraries are stored and linked within the compiler backend, and they aren't actually anywhere on the site. However, they are the armcc standard libraries, so you can look at all the documentation here:

Hope that has all the information you need. Please shout if not.

Thanks!

Simon

01 Sep 2012

Simon Ford wrote:

Hi Neal,

The c libraries are stored and linked within the compiler backend, and they aren't actually anywhere on the site. However, they are the armcc standard libraries, so you can look at all the documentation here:

Hope that has all the information you need. Please shout if not.

Thanks!

Simon

Hi Simon, Thanks for replying.

I do understand that the C libraries are stored and linked within the compiler backend. I am not looking for the source to the implementation of the libraries.

I am looking for the header files as used by the compiler.

I did look at the docs that you linked to, but I didn't see the header information. Maybe I missed it.

I would like to look at the implementation of a few structures as would normally be declared in the library headers.

Normally, for any compiler environment that I've used, I can go look in the header files, to see exactly how a given structure or function is declared or prototyped, be it windows, unix, or embedded whatever... On unix, I can `man localtime' and get all the info relative to `struct tm'. There appears to be no equal here for mbed.

This is the normal minimum documentation that I'd expect, excluding all other documentation.

That is what I want to do now. Specifically, I want to look at `struct tm'. The compiler is complaining that it doesn't have the tm_gmtoff member. I want to see if it has something similar, or try to find the C library's concept / implementation / representation of time zone, if it exists. If it doesn't exist, then I need to maintain that on my own, that is ok too. But, I'd like to try and use what is already in the library.

If the headers are not available on the mbed site, but I need to download them and examine them offline, then that is fine, I don't care. I just want to be able to search / look at them.

i'm not trying to be a jerk or whatever...

What way should I use to find this kind of information ?

Thanks

01 Sep 2012

Hi Neal,

The easiest thing is probably to download something like Keil MDK which also uses armcc:

Hope that gets you what you need!

Simon

01 Sep 2012

Simon Ford wrote:

Hi Neal,

The easiest thing is probably to download something like Keil MDK which also uses armcc:

Hope that gets you what you need!

Simon

Hi Simon,

Thanks.

I started down that road yesterday, thinking that might be the answer, I'll continue, and let you know what I find...

Cheers.

01 Sep 2012

Hi Neal, did a quick search on the error you reported and found this:

https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/octave-maintainers/2011-December/025882.html

Says: "from http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/glibc/libc_435.html it seems that tm_gmtoff is a libc BSD extension and not in Posix."

So probably not supported and you need to implement it yourself.

01 Sep 2012

Wim Huiskamp wrote:

Hi Neal, did a quick search on the error you reported and found this:

https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/octave-maintainers/2011-December/025882.html

Says: "from http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/glibc/libc_435.html it seems that tm_gmtoff is a libc BSD extension and not in Posix."

So probably not supported and you need to implement it yourself.

Hi, Wim, yep, I did that too.

Usually there is some support for time zone in a given OS, and that is what I'm looking for

I fully, expect to have to implement it on my own, but I want to look and see if it is maybe in there, but somewhere else first...

Thus the reason for looking at the headers.

Cheers