Share source code

08 Dec 2010

Hi,

is it possible to share a project within the development?

I will develop a library with a friend and both want to change the sourcecode.

08 Dec 2010

Hi Frank,

If you right-click a project or library in the IDE, you can select "publish". This will push it to the mbed website where someone else can import it. What you can't do is both work on the same project at the same time (google wave style).

Simon

08 Dec 2010

Hi Simon,

thanks for your reply.

I thought that it is possible to work on the same project. If I publish the project my friend has to import it. But if he want to make changes (edit library) he will make a local copy in his workspace. So he still can "commit" the changes if he makes a "re-publish" of this library and i have to import the changed library.

How can we work at the same project without making this local copies?

Frank

12 Dec 2010

I was just going to make a proposal/request along the same lines. Sharing source files and developing simultaneously is a major point of the newly emerging online development tools, and the mbed environment is missing them at the moment. I would be very happy to see this on mbed and can imagine I could make use of it in real-world situations, mutually exchanging development ideas with my colleagues rapidly online.

--

As a second step, this should also involve some privacy settings - we (= I and my co-developer(s)) don't want to make all my sources public, and definitively not while we are still working on them. At the moment, I can sort of half-publish the sources, which means that they are not displayed on the frontpage and only those who know the URL can access (import) them. However, anybody who knows the URL can access them; there is no mechanism to allow only a selected user or group of users to access them, and for example be notified upon changes.

Jan