Code Red

05 Jan 2011

Has anyone gotten the code red rools to sucessfully build a project using the mbed libraries?

12 Feb 2011

I believe the free Code Red IDE only supports C programs. To get C++ support you need to pay extra, thus ruling out use of the mbed libraries.

12 Feb 2011

It won't have the necessary drivers, either.

12 Feb 2011

For $256 you can upgrade the free IDE from 128K ROM image limit to 256K and get C++ support.

I opted to do this in hopes that it would be possible to run mbed code on a platform (LPCxpresso) that has a full featured debugger.

I have not been able to try anything yet because while mbed.lib can downloaded, I don't know where to get mbed.h

12 Feb 2011
13 Feb 2011

Thanks Andy. I did discover that source shortly after my earlier post. I got my mbed module two days ago, so I'm a real noobie.

I am so used to having a debugger available that I sort of panicked at its absence in the mbed IDE. I also struggle a bit with little things like an ain.read_u16() taking 72 microseconds when I know that it can be done in 5 microseconds (or even less if BURST mode and interrupts are used). But the idea of mbed is as a platform for quick prototyping and is not meant to extract the last bit of performance from the underlying hardware. My early experiences indicate that it is meeting those goals superbly.

So, I'm going to adjust my attitude and work with mbed as is; use it to prototype designs, and if performance becomes an issue, I will develop my own libraries that better (but more rigidly) exploit the LPC1768.

13 Feb 2011

Hi Bob

Quote:

I also struggle a bit with little things like an ain.read_u16() taking 72 microseconds when I know that it can be done in 5 microseconds (or even less if BURST mode and interrupts are used)

You may find this thread useful:- http://mbed.org/forum/mbed/topic/1798 :)

01 Mar 2011

In fact Code Red free edition can compile C++, only you cannot debug it with LPC-Link.