Cannot Load and Run Programs Anymore

09 Nov 2010

Vista Home Premium, SP2 (32-bit OS)

The first time I plugged it in the mbed worked fine.  I wrote a few programs to blink the lights.  I tried to run a program that used flicker.  I put a call to flicker into the main then a call at the end of the function that flicker called, trying to get a callback every 0.01 seconds.  Well, the mbed has not worked since. When I save files to the drive, it appears to be doing something but then the blue LED new the USB connector stops blinking and nothing happens.  I have reloaded the Flash program, held the resert button down, and held the button down when applying power.  No luck.  I have powered down the computer several times and tried an alternate USB hub connection.  Still no luck!  I cannot see the MBED.htm file anymore - it is displayed and removed right away.  Below is the text contained in that file.  I am not able to reformat the disk since it says that Windows is unable to perform that function.

I did notice that I now get a second window when I save files to the drive indicating that a file is being copied to the drive.  I do not recall that second window in the past but it is possible it was there all along.  Anyway, the file copies and the windows clear as expected.

Any help would be appreciated as I am stuck.

<!-- mbed Microcontroller Website and Authentication Shortcut -->
<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0; url=http://mbed.org/start?auth=101000000000000000000002F7F036E395ee2bba0b96c3844a4df005adb7489d&loader=11972&firmware=1645·&configuration=4" />
<title>mbed Website Shortcut</title>
</head>
<body></body>
</html>

09 Nov 2010 . Edited: 09 Nov 2010

if its plugged into a breadboard, take it out. your circuit might be shorting.

first, does the code work? will the mbed run a hello world program?

second, load a program, once the blue LED stops flashing, press reset. (actuly, try this first) leave it connected to USB. check the voltage over pins (GND and VU) and (GND and VOUT). you should get 5V and 3.3V.

third, can you try with a diffrent USB cable? press and hold reset and load a program that works whilst keeping reset held down.

10 Nov 2010

It was plugged into a breadboard but taking it out made no difference.

No, no code downloads work.  There are several programs in the drive but none of them run.  I tried the reset after a load and during a load.

Change USB cables - no luck.

Looks like it may be time to pitch the mbed.

10 Nov 2010

Hi Steve,

If you have a work through the http://mbed.org/cookbook/deadmbed page, see if that brings anything to light.

Failing that, give us an email at support@mbed.org with any background info you have and we'll see what we can do for you.

We'll get you running again!

Simon

13 Nov 2010

Hi Simon,

I went through the steps and found the mbed to be dead as a doornail.  It no longer is recognized by Windows when I plug it in.  Here is what I get.

Response when mbed plugged in.

I emailed support@mbed.org to give you details.  I hope you are able to get me running again.