USB Serial

08 Nov 2010

I have followed the USBblue trail and get the impression that the mBed can't quite host a USB device that looks like a serial port just yet. Is this correct or is there a library around that does this?

08 Nov 2010

There's not a lot around on the USB Host side of things. Snippets/library code exist for things like a USB memory stick (bulk transfer). The USBblue I believe has "skel" code for keyboard/mouse/etc. However, if you want to USB host anything you pretty much have to "diy" it.

For example, my project has an Xbox360 USB wired gamepad attached. To get it to work I started with Peter's BlueUSB code and then added my own API to that and then wrote a device driver for the gamepad that sits on the API.

08 Nov 2010

Hi Andy,

Would you be prepared to share your code for the wired USB gamepad? (Sorry if you've already done so & I've missed it when looking)

I've got one lying around at home and it would make a great input device for a couple of my projects!

Cheers,

JezC

08 Nov 2010

Jeremy,

Look at my profile and find the SOWB project. It's not completed yet, I just released a preview because it's got a lot of sample code people can use. Go to the file list and scan down to teh bottom of the page. You'll want to look at all teh files that start usbeh_* and xbox360*

Have fun!

08 Nov 2010

Hi Andy,

Brilliant - that'll be a great basis for my projects (not to mention allowing me to keep at least some of the little hair I have left ;-)

Many thanks.

Cheers,

JezC

08 Nov 2010

Btw, I have a USB protocol analyzer which means I still have my hair. If you haven't got one Google will help you find a supplier. If your budget doesn't extend to one of those then Google will help you find a wig supplier instead :))

08 Nov 2010

We've got one at work (an old LeCroy one - only does USB full speed, not high speed - though that's not an issue for the LPC176x range). I've used the USB Agent before which was a bit more basic but still ok.

Rather than do that, I'll just train one of the cats to sit on my head then I don't even need to worry about washing the rug :-))