Windows mbed driver seems to be buggy

18 Feb 2016

I have encountered an issue twice in the last ten minutes. My Windows 7 system would stop recognizing the mbed device as an USB device. Looking up the USB component in Device Manager, its status is reported as follow:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)

The first time it is when I drop a new firmware in. The second time it is after I unplug the board from my computer.

The only solution I can come up with is restarting the computer, which is very time consuming.

If anyone could point out a better solution, or better, point out what I could do to prevent the issue, that would be great help.

03 Aug 2017

Did you ever find an answer? I have the same behavior on Windows 10

10 Aug 2017

I don't know why, but I've not had this behavior on win 7 or 10 in the last 5 years. lpc1768. One some rare occasions, with the LPC1768, where I have [too] intensively used the localfilesystem, I have corrupted that, and had to manually hold reset while plugging in the USB interface. I was then able to replace the errant program.