Where are the c/c++ base firmware class files?

15 Mar 2010

Hi, I have been looking around for the c/c++ class files - insterested in looking a that implementation details of the mbed firmware. All I can find on the svn are the headers. Can we access the c/c++ class files?

thanks

Elio

15 Mar 2010

The sources are not available. There was some talk of making them open, but nothing concrete for now.

05 Apr 2010

Why support open source user code and not do the same with the base code? If the goal of making it easy to share code between users is to make a breathe of solutions available, why not leverage that same crowd to extend the base classes? Or is this to avoid someone providing a cross compiler because you intend to add ads to the site?

It seems fishy.

05 Apr 2010

I dont think it has anything to do with ads, its about creating the most efficient base possible. It keeps things organized and on track, imagine all the questions in the forum if you did get the source for the base code. It would create havoc from a customer support standpoint too.

05 Apr 2010

Vlad Cazan wrote: It would create havoc from a customer support standpoint too.
The point of open source is that you create community members that can offload the burden of the havoc. And you can provide the base source and not support checkins, or make a process that source is approved at some point.

It would just be nice to know how things are implemented so if speed is important (as it often is on embedded things) we can make smart choices.

06 Apr 2010

The MBED system also depends on a second microcontroller for several core functions which means that there are TWO libraries of interest.

23 Apr 2010

I can see and understand why the code on the second microcontroller is closed. Besides, we don't ever need access to that code unless we want to clone cheap copies of mbed...

But the main mbed.ar library for the primary microcontroller should be opened up. Even if the license prevents using the library on non-mbed platforms, it would be immensely useful to see how things are implemented and if necessary overload methods, re-implement bits and so on. Not to mention being able to build "in the field" with GCC on a laptop (non-Keil supported platform) without an internet connection. Argh, I couldn't sworn when I signed onto the mbed beta program the .cpp files were available, and that was the main reason I didn't run for the hills when I first found out about this platform. Sigh. I'm off to write some open source for peripheral drivers and boot code...

07 Aug 2010

Has there been any new efforts to release the basic library source?  I'm new to the NXP chips and it would be a great reference, no matter how badly documented, on working with the USARTs, NVIs (interrupts?), etc.

On a side note, is there a guide for using gcc for creating .bin files?

07 Aug 2010

If it helps, I have a pretty nice example project for GCC here:

http://github.com/hugovincent/mbed-freertos

You should be able to piece together all you need from the Makefile, the linker scripts, and the bootup/initialization code. A suitable toolchain for Mac OS X and Linux (untested on Windows but should work) is here:

http://github.com/hugovincent/arm-eabi-toolchain

You should be able to use it mostly as is even if you don't need or want the RTOS kernel (just don't call StartScheduler in main()).

Expect the remainder of the peripheral drivers (UART, ethernet, I2C, SPI etc) to be added over the coming weeks, as well as more complete C standard library and C++ (with C++ standard library and the STL).

22 Feb 2013