I2C fast mode plus (Fm+), can I have access to it?

15 Mar 2010

Hello, can I use another I2C(I2C0: Fm+) bus on the LPC1768?

On the LPC1768, three I2C interface (I2C0, I2C1 and I2C2) are there but no I2C0 interface (pins 24 and 25) is not available on the mbed's headers. I want to use there pins because it is only one I2C interface which supports "fast mode plus (Fm+: 1MHz I2C)". Can I solder on the jumpers to these pins? I mean I want to make sure that these pins are not used for other purpose (those are left open on the schematic). (I found the pin9,10 and pins28,27 I2C works with higher speed if I set the frequeny higher, but I believe it may not good thing to do.)

And if I do this hardware modification, still I can use the I2C interface library which is normally used for pins 9, 10 and 28, 27? Since no pins for that interface are not on the headers, it may not be able to define like "i2c(p9,p10)".

15 Mar 2010

As far as I can tell, every pin of LPC1768 that's not connected on the schematics is not connected on the board. So if you can solder your wires directly to the pins you should be fine.

I'm not sure it will work, but you could try passing P0_27 (SDA0) and P0_28 (SCL0) to the constructor. Even if this works, you will probably have to additionally set up the I2CPADCFG register for Fm+.

15 Mar 2010

Thank you for good prompt support always!

I was asking about this since I'm going to have Fm+ devices sometime in near future. When I try and get a result, I'll report.