mBed runs a bit warm.

24 Feb 2010

Hey all. It's noticably warm to the touch. I just now got it, so I just watn to make sure. Also, anybody successfully use a serial terminal through ubuntu yet?

24 Feb 2010

the heat could be the transistor if you are powering a large load, it might get hot, I dont think you have anything to worry about.

24 Feb 2010

Alright. Thanks.

25 Feb 2010

Yes, I have the serial terminal running through Ubuntu, what version of Ubuntu are you using?

25 Feb 2010

9.10 Karmic i386 32bit. How' you do it?

25 Feb 2010 . Edited: 25 Feb 2010

Open a terminal and type:

ls /dev/ttyACM*

you should get a result like:

/dev/ttyACM0

then type

screen /dev/ttyACM0

Look at the following page for examples:

http://mbed.org/handbook/SerialPC#HostInterface

25 Feb 2010

Thanks! Got it talking no problem

25 Feb 2010

no problem at all... just sorted this out myself last night ;)

26 Feb 2010

Mine gets warm without it running anything...just on its own...

26 Feb 2010

Is it at all possible that the onboard LEDs are whats getting warm? They're pretty bright... wondering what the current draw is?

26 Feb 2010

When powered up, my mbed also runs warmer than it seems like it should for flashing a single led... Touching it it feels as though the NXP is where most of the heat is coming from. It's by no means hot, like it would be if there was a short, but something does seem to be drawing a fair amount of power (which is odd, really, as the board isn't connected to anything, save the included USB cable).

26 Feb 2010

Keep in mind that the MBED runs at a fairly high speed and therefore draws some serious current for such a small peace of silicon. The typical current is ~42mA @ 3.3 V @ 100MHz. And that is even if the MBED does not seem to be doing anything. Also it does not take a lot of temperature difference for your skin to be able to detect it. Usually helps to keep you save. :o)

Your friendly ARM FAE

27 Feb 2010

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks Klaus.

--George