mbed usb serial port and Labview

17 Feb 2010

Hello, I'm using windows 7 x64 and Labview 2009 x64 and I'm getting a VISA error reading the serial port. Is anyone successfully using mbed with Labview?

Regards,

Samuel.

17 Feb 2010

Hi, maybe you have to ask : is anyone successfully using mBed and Windows 7  :)

Regards

macc

17 Feb 2010

Works fine with Putty as the client. How are you setting up Labview?

17 Feb 2010

Yes, putty is working fine. I'm configuring labview the same settings as putty, it opens the port correctly but reading or writting throw errors. I have read in Labview forums that many users have problems with USB to serial adapters, so maybe the problem is not on the mbed side.

18 Feb 2010

Hi, I have no experience with Labview but I'm sure that they are depending on flow-control on the serial line.  MBED unfortunately doesn't support any flow-control so the solution may be lowering the speed until it begins to work reliable.

Anders

18 Feb 2010

Hi, Which VISA error are you getting? Could you post a screenshot of your code? LabVIEW will have no problem talking to the mbed, so what are your port settings?

18 Feb 2010

Maciej Rajtar wrote:

Hi, maybe you have to ask : is anyone successfully using mBed and Windows 7  :)

Regards

macc

Me

28 Feb 2010

Samuel Cabrero wrote:

Hello, I'm using windows 7 x64 and Labview 2009 x64 and I'm getting a VISA error reading the serial port. Is anyone successfully using mbed with Labview?

Regards,

Samuel.

Hi Samuel, did you sort your LabVIEW problem ?

01 Mar 2010 . Edited: 01 Mar 2010

No, I don't unfortunately. I have written a small program using Qt, qextserialport to read the serial port and qwt library for the charts.

05 Mar 2010

What was the error msg ? Was it "VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF003E) Could not perform operation because of I/O error." ?

05 Mar 2010

A short guide on how to use LabVIEW with mbed:

1. Install Windows USB Serial Port Installer (mbedWinSerial_16466.exe) http://mbed.org/handbook/SerialPC ?

2. Once you did this, download, compile and upload to your mbed the second example http://mbed.org/handbook/SerialPC (the one that uses the 'u' and 'd' keys to make LED1 brighter or dimmer). Restart mbed.

3. Run LabVIEW

Open Help -> Search Examples -> Search for "serial" -> choose "Advanced Serial Write and Read.vi"

We need to slightly modify this vi.
in the block diagram change the following:
+ value of "I/O Receive Buffer mask" from 16 to 48 (which corresponds to I/O Receive and Transmit Buffer).
+ in the while loop change the value of "Wait until next ms" from 5 to 1000.

on the front panel
+ choose the correct COM port (VISA resource name)
+ turn off the "End write with termination character?" button
+ turn off the "Read" button
+ in the "string to write" window write "u" or "d"
+ press the start arrow and observe the led #1 on your mbed.

If things doesn't work, check if your mbed works in TeraTerm console - http://logmett.com/index.php?/download/tera-term-465.html or send me a msg.

Good luck.

Jakub

18 Sep 2011

where in the block diagram is the while loop for change the value of "Wait until next ms" from 5 to 1000¿?