What INCLUDE path is used by the cloud compiler?

07 Sep 2011

I am working on updating the gcc4mbed project that Arthur Wolf and I have been working on and one of the work items on my list includes using an INCLUDE path that matches the cloud compiler. It appears to include almost every subdirectory in a project, including those of imported libraries but I was just wondering how inclusive it is and more importantly the exact search order.

I am hoping that someone happens to already know the particulars but I will resort to experimentation in an attempt to try and figure it out if I have to but that takes away from the time I could be using to shrink the C/C++ libraries and fixing known linker compatibility issues :)

Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it.

09 Oct 2011

Hi Adam, great work on gcc4mbed, I tried it and works fine.

I want to know if it's possible to compile projects from within an IDE, such as Code::Blocks, Eclipse or MS Vsual C++, using internal configuration instead of the makefile method.

Thanks, greetings.

10 Oct 2011

Hello Pablo, I am happy to hear that the install of gcc4mbed went smoothly for you and the included makefiles are working for you.

In this mbed forum thread, Wim discusses Visual Studio 2010.

Juergen also has this notebook page discussing how he got an older version of the gcc4mbed project working with Eclipse. You might be able to modify his steps to work with the latest gcc4mbed code.

I think supporting an IDE with the gcc4mbed github project would be great but as I don't have any experience with most of them, I don't know which one is best to support. I personally tend to just work in a text editor, use makefiles for building, and run the command line version of gdb for debugging when I work on embedded systems like mbed. I see no reason to support Visual Studio as it is Windows only and doesn't support gdb debugging. I have used Eclipse in the past and I didn't personally like it very much. It is cross platform which is nice but that was about the only redeeming quality I saw in it. However, that isn't enough to rule out in my mind if that is the IDE of choice for a lot of the mbed community.

I would love to hear from experienced embedded developers in the mbed community. If they use an IDE, which one do they use and what do they like/dislike about it?

10 Oct 2011

Hi Adam, thank you very much for answering.

I tried to work with Visual Studio, running the makefile with the "build" button, as suggested in the forum. The big problem is that this way the IDE don't parse error messages comming from console.

An important role for me is that error messages appear clearly, discriminating what is "error" and what it is "warning", and the ability to click on the error message and take you directly to the line of code where the error occurred (cloud compiler has this feature, although it lacks "search" and "go to..." as well which is extremely slow to compile) I think for this to work, you must call gcc.exe from within IDE building configuration, instead that from the makefile.

Personally I feel the same, Visual Studio, Eclipse or Code::Blocks. I'm not a professional programmer, so I have worked with the 3 and I found them comfortable. Code::Blocks is perhaps the most appropriate regarding gcc and embedded programming.

Greetings.

P.S. sorry for my bad english, I'm from Uruguay.

19 Oct 2011

Adam, just a little question: I saw some people mention about Keil uVision. Is it better than gcc in any way, more compatible with mbed or easier to set up?

29 Jul 2013

in order to parse the errors and warnings from GCC in VS : http://mbed.org/forum/mbed/post/22345/