OS-X renaming my .bin file when downloaded? Corrupted MBED flash drive?

03 Mar 2013

I recently migrated from Win7 to a Mac Mini and OS-X using the Chrome browser. I believe that when I compile and download, OS-X is automatically renaming my .bin file (adding a sequence number to the name) when it detects an existing .bin file with the project name.

In the download window, I can manually edit the new file name back to the original name and the system will then prompt me to allow me to overwrite the file.

I had been allowing the new file names (with sequence numbers) to be downloaded, and occasionally moving older ones to trash.

I eventually found that even though Finder showed only a few small files, GET INFO showed the flash drive was full, no space remaining. I do not know if moving the files to trash was somehow not freeing the space, but best guess is the drive was "corrupted". I was able to "erase" (reformat) the drive and with a bit more stumbling around got it working again.

Perhaps the corrupted drive was just a coincidence, but I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has had similar problems or anyone who knows how to configure OS-X so the download will not try to add the sequence number to the file name and so the system will prompt me to allow overwriting.

Thanks,

Chuck

03 Mar 2013

I know on linux, when something goes into the trash its just moved to a hidden folder called ".Trash" on the same drive, emptying the Recycle Bin/Trash actually deletes the files. This works flawlessly on normal drives, but removable drives can be missed when emptying the trash, meaning the drive looks empty but all the files are still there. As both OSX and linux are derived from unix it may be the same.

The problem with the extension renaming I cant help with having never used OSX.

03 Mar 2013

Hi Chris,

I think that will explain the out of space problem. I will find the terminal command to get Finder to show hidden items so I can monitor that. I did not consider that "trash" was on the same drive, makes sense!

I guess I will use Terminal commands to delete the older files.

Thanks.

04 Mar 2013

If you click on the "Trash" icon on the dock, it will bring up a Finder window showing you the deleted files on the currently mounted drives.

You can either right-click the Trash and select "Empty Trash" or just click the "Empty" button near the upper right corner of the Trash Finder window.

The renamed files behavior does happen when you save with the same name in Chrome. The mbed will still use the one with the most recent date/time stamp. Does suck that the files pile up. I just delete them every once in awhile and empty the Trash.

Windows typically does something similar with the Recycle Bin so a format from OS X will purge any such files that you created previously from Windows.

04 Mar 2013

OK, all is pretty clear now. I verified that I do see the MBED trash contents when looking in the OS-X trash so I have turned back off the "show hidden files" in order to not see the .DS_store etc. on the desktop.

I had not known if it was Chrome or OS-X doing the renaming, so it is good to know it is Chrome. I still prefer it over Safari so I will just grin and bear it. Yes, it is a nuisance that it works that way, but now that I know what is going on it is better than manually renaming the file in the download window each time would be.

Thanks.