Scratch

10 Sep 2009

I'm interested in the work done on the interfacing of mbed to the Scratch programming environment. I don't know who developed the Scratch.bin program which interfaces with the Scratch enrvironment but is the source code available for this?

John Stout

13 Sep 2009

Hi John,

John Stout wrote:
I'm interested in the work done on the interfacing of mbed to the Scratch programming environment. I don't know who developed the Scratch.bin program which interfaces with the Scratch enrvironment but is the source code available for this?

Try this:

http://mbed.org/users/simon/published/78f8c233050dd00c2b1846d3947ca590/Scratch.zip

Not tested recently, but should get you going!

Simon

13 Sep 2009

Hi John.

May I ask what interest you have in Scratch?

I'm working on a daughterboard board for Scratch, with an extended set of features (more than GoGo or Picoboard/Scratch sensor board).

GB-)

15 Sep 2009

We use Scratch at our college (kgv.ac.uk) as an introduction to programming (sequence, selection, iteration) but it would be nice to be able to link it with some sort of sensing: all too often the students think programming is just completely abstract, and actually connecting it to something physical makes the whole concept more concrete

I'd be very interested in your Scratch board.

John

16 Sep 2009

I strongly agree with you about making concepts concrete. I have been working with a couple of groups who are using Scratch, and they are having great success. One friend in particular finds young people really like physical interaction, she is using 'real' picoboards.

What age range are you using Scratch with?

I realise this is about mbed, but I have an experimental implementation of the picoboard/Scratch sensor board firmware for Arduino/Freeduino too. Would that be of use? I could clean it up and release that. It needs sensors to be plugged in, but that can be done with veroboard. Arduino has the nice property that they are cheap (£14 for Freeduino).

GB-)

17 Sep 2009

Simon,

the link to mbedPong.sb file on the Scratch wiki page is broken.

Clemens

07 Dec 2009

does anyone have a copy of  mbedPong.sb ?

thanks,

martin