mbed + Wi-Fi

04 Oct 2009

Hello !

I need to connect my mbed to a Wi-Fi router.

Would you please suggest a model that would allow me to to run my http sessions wirelessly ?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

René-Jean

04 Oct 2009

I dont think you can connect a mbed wirelessly only with an ethernet cable. Any model router should work.

11 Oct 2009

Hi Rene,

René-Jean Mercier wrote:
I need to connect my mbed to a Wi-Fi router. Would you please suggest a model that would allow me to to run my http sessions wirelessly ?

We've found a module called "WiFly" which might be interesting:

Not played with it yet ourselves, but it looks like it might be what you are after. Sparkfun also do it on a breakout which would probably make wiring it up easy.

Simon

30 Nov 2009

Simon,

Is there any progress on Wi-Fly library for MBED or any plans?

I have my MBED prototype working over a cabled ethernet (whoo-hoo!), but in order to have a proof of concept demo for the product, I need to make it wireless and get rid of this wireless router box. I'd love to have an example or a cookbook app.

--

Ilya

30 Nov 2009

Hi Ilya,

We don't have any plans for the Wi-Fly module at the moment, but as if I remember correctly it has the TCP/IP stack implemented on it already, so you might find it is not to hard to get at least something going.

Simon

24 May 2011

I know this post is old, but I just finished hooking up a WiFly to an mbed. It worked pretty well, but you have to understand that it really is just a serial port over WiFi. That is, on the mbed side you do not hook up any kind of IP code, so you have to manage any 'services' yourself on both the client and server side.

I should probably clean up the code a bit and publish as a library...

- Tyler

16 Jun 2011

Hello Tyler,

I would greatly appreciate a library! I'm about to try hooking up a WiFly RN-171 to the mbed and 'play'. If you have any suggestions or know of any pitfalls I might encounter along the way, I would love to hear it. Glad to see that you have managed to do what I'm trying to do already though!

If you don't have time to publish your library any time soon, would you mind sharing your code with me in case I get stuck?

Cheers mate,

Jay

16 Jun 2011

Okay, I published it. Sorry no real documentation included. As described, it is a _very_ simple wrapper for a WiFly over serial port. Here is a very simple test program that uses it:

#include "mbed.h"
#include "wifly.h"

// USB serial in/out
Serial pc(USBTX, USBRX);

// WiFly
WiFly fly(p13, p14);

void passthru()
{
    // we also would like a way to escape out of the passthru, and back again
    while (true)
    {
        if (pc.readable())
        {
            fly.putc(pc.getc());
        }
        if (fly.readable())
        {
            pc.putc(fly.getc());
        }
    }
}

int main()
{    
    pc.baud(115200);
    pc.printf("starting...\n\r");

// quick way to test WiFly, Maestro or other serial device on the mbed
    passthru();

return 0;
}

This example will forward all WiFly comms to the USB comms, allowing you to configure the WiFly for your situation (SSID, passphrase, etc.)

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions, suggestions, issues, etc.

- Tyler

18 Jun 2011

Tyler, you're a champ! Thanks mate.

Jay