mbed and Wifi support

05 Dec 2009

Hi

I need wifi support for mbed, and I choose this modules Nano Socket iWiFi ,its multiple interface (UART, SPI, RMII and USB).

I want use Ethernet and lwip libs and make LAN to WIFI Bridge with RMII interface.

It is possible?

What pins need to RMII connection?

Is not possible RMII connection , I use ZeroG chips with SPI interface.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance

05 Dec 2009 . Edited: 05 Dec 2009

Hi Ricardo,

I'd look at using the SPI (or UART) interface. You'll probably also get to use a built-in stack that way, although you'd need to check.

WiFi has come up a couple of times now. With these additional ones Ricardo mentions, it seems the ones that have come up so far are:

So i'm therefore wondering:

• Is anyone else thinking of using WiFi?
  • What modules is anyone considering/found/had experience with?

Simon

05 Dec 2009 . Edited: 10 Dec 2009

Hi Simon,

+1 from me - I eventually will need to use WiFi in a couple of projects that I'm working on using few MBEDs.

EDIT: No preference on modules... I did not look at WiFi modules in detail yet, but I know that I will need to have "access point" capability with some functions of a router (as opposed to "client"), so I can select the MBED device as a network and connect to it, say from a PC or a smartphone. It does not need to actually bridge 2 networks and route packets, just be presented as a network to endpoint devices and show itself as a (web-)server on it.

I have not educated myself yet on what are the differences between access point and router and what could be a limitation preventing from doing a router on a given module, but it looks like WEP or WPA would be nice to have, as is SSID broadcast, and DHCP server would most likely be required. On the one hand it would be nice to have a module supporting those functions, on the other - if functions required for becoming a router are done in MBED code, it would be easier to go from proto to production and optimize BOM costs (i.e. switch to a cheaper WiFi chip).

--

Ilya

09 Dec 2009

Simon Ford wrote:

Hi Ricardo,

I'd look at using the SPI (or UART) interface. You'll probably also get to use a built-in stack that way, although you'd need to check.

WiFi has come up a couple of times now. With these additional ones Ricardo mentions, it seems the ones that have come up so far are:

So i'm therefore wondering:

• Is anyone else thinking of using WiFi?
  • What modules is anyone considering/found/had experience with?

Simon

I'm thinking of WiFi.  An article about the ZeroG module just happened to come across my inbox.  They're SPI on one side, WiFi on the other.  Configuration can be via SPI or via WiFi.  Avnet has them in single quantities for $30, Future also has them but minimum purchase of 70.  I wish SparkFun had them so I could get one on free day.

http://www.techfocusmedia.net/embeddedtechnologyjournal/feature_articles/20091208-zerog/

--steve

09 Dec 2009

Thanks for info.

I start with ZeroG with SPI, but in the future I want use Nano Socket IWifi with Ethernet library.

Write one, execute always. (with Ethernet or wifi Connection)

Thanks Steve, Ilya and Simon

04 Jun 2010

Realtek has an inexpensive USB wifi model. (Realtek RTL8187B) I am looking for some real specs on the part.

18 Apr 2011

To keep the cost down, what is wrong with usb devices? For $15, tigerdirect has Ultra U12-41385 Wireless N Nano USB Adapter - USB 2.0, 802.11n Draft 2.0, Up to 328ft Range