NXP LPC18XX Particularly LPC1857

-deleted-
24 Mar 2011

Hi Guys,

Just wondered if anyone was interested in this.

NXP are releasing towards the end of this year the LPC1857.

Its got an ARM Cortex-M3 core running upto 150MHz, build in LCD Controller with a DMA interface to an External Memory Controller.

Just curious if MBED intend of making a new version using this device.

Information still seems pretty scarce, there is a datasheet but its only a draft and lots of bits missing.

There isn't a user manual that I can find so far.

But this thing is packed full of features.

It should be released in a couple of TQFP packages one of which being TQFP-208.

Its just seemed to be so powerful and full of features thought it would be a good idea to make an MBED version of it.

24 Mar 2011

LPC1857 doesn't really interest me, but the other unreleased chips do, I'd rather see a mbed that has the SD/MMC interface, which would allow for some seriously high speed applications that involve SD cards.

-deleted-
28 Mar 2011

Does the MBed not use SD/MMC cards through the SPI interface, or have I got that wrong?

29 Mar 2011

-deleted- wrote:

Does the MBed not use SD/MMC cards through the SPI interface, or have I got that wrong?

It does, but I'd like to see true high speed 4 bit access instead of SPI

04 Sep 2012

+1

i agree, id been keen for a higher end processor with an LCD controller and DMA support.

04 Sep 2012

I think that this might be viewed as too smaller an upgrade to be worth really making a whole new board for it, it takes a lot of work! In terms of more power, I'd expect an M4 mbed would be more likely, as there starts to be little point getting a 1.5x speed upgrade when the device could have a load of floating point etc added. LCD interfaces are pretty specific to applications, and would be a pain to mbed-ise (hence why there arn't mbed libraries for things like the timer/counter). SD/MMC interface would be nice, it might be worth just making a SPI/SDMMC bridge, or using a different dev system...