Dan !!!

09 Feb 2011

Dan, HELP!

I just uploaded some jpegs while working on a notebook page. However, ur server apperas to be infinitly making thumb scaled versions. It's creating them faster than I can delete them!!

Example:-

Original: context1.jpeg It made : _scaled_context1.jpeg

then on to :- _scaled_context1_fb_thumb_fb_thumb_fb_thumb_fb_thumb_fb_thumb_fb_thumb_fb_thumb_fb_thumb_fb_thumb_fb_thumb_fb_thumb_fb_thumb_fb_thumb.jpeg

And it's still making them now!

[edit: I can only delete them one by one and there's MANY of them now. Would be nice to have had checkboxes so I could delete multiple images with a single submit. But as it is, when I delete one file several more are appearing with ever longer file names!]

09 Feb 2011

20mins later and it still appears to be making more scaled imaged (so small you can't even see them now they are scaled down so much). So, I've given up tonight trying to write this article until you've manage to stop it.

Also, it takes between 5 and 20seconds to delete just one image. So I would appreciate it if you could delete all image files I have uploaded with the word "context" in the filename. I don't have that sort of time to delete them all one by one.

cheers.

09 Feb 2011

Ok Andy, I've removed the offending files.

When it rains, it pours!

10 Feb 2011

lol, thanks, but it's doing it again. It seems to happen only when I upload jpegs. It doesn't do it when uploading png files.

[Edit: Note to self (and others maybe), upload images as PNG or GIF. If you upload jpegs you're in for grief. Dan, Fixable?]

10 Feb 2011

It has happened to me also for several days now. I think perhaps it is something strange in the image file that it can't decode. I have uploaded jpegs OK since then. It seemed to me that delete was causing more files to appear - so I gave up on delete and I think that stopped the generation of more of them. Interesting that it never displays the thumb images on the ones that go bad.

Just don't delete all the good ones - there are a lot with links to cookbook pages!

10 Feb 2011

@Jim Not just deleting them adds them. Just opening the "add file" does for me, there's even more this morning.

@Dan, can you clean them out again please. I promise to upload on PNG files in future as they don't seem to cause this problem.

10 Feb 2011

Hi all,

The problem should now be fixed. This only happened with the 'jpeg' file extension, so jpg,png,gif etc would have been fine. An interesting failure mode with this one!

Andy - I've cleared out your context* type images again.

Dan

10 Feb 2011

Thx Dan. I'll get back to writing my article later. Had a number of images in it and writing it is easier when I can see the images in preview :)

10 Feb 2011

My files that won't die all have the *.tif extension and I still can't kill them off with delete. - Still growing in number every day!! Bad thumbs of thumb files taking over the disk world - seems like a bad Science fiction plot.

I wonder if the original file (sim.tif) had something strange - but it displays OK in Windows and Photoshop. It was actually the wrong file, I got sim.tif when I really needed sim.jpg to upload. Sim.jpg uploaded OK.

I also had it always lock up a few days ago, if I ever said add image to file when you get that auto dialog box during upload. So I had to say no and then go back later and add it manually. It seems to work OK now on that issue.

10 Feb 2011

Hi Jim, have deleted your spurious files also.

10 Feb 2011

Oh no! - I thought you had all of them killed, but they are regenerating again..

It looked good at first, so I started using images.

Now every time I open up the image window to use images, I get two more.

Might need to go all the way back to the original sim.tif and kill it.

10 Feb 2011

Hi jim,

Cleared & fixed.

Dan