mbed.org under load

12 Feb 2011

Hi, Having problems accessing the compiler. Last week no problem. USB plugged-in and recognizes mbed in Windows XP Home. Click on the mbed link. Able to log into my account but when I click to go to the compiler, log-in re-appears. I log in again and it brings me back to my account in an endless circle. Tried resetting mbed, disconnecting & reconnecting usb. Nothing seems to work. Help!

Dave

12 Feb 2011

I think it's time the deadline was extended. How can we get our projects done with all these problems? I sent an email to the contest@circuitcellar.com. I suggest others do too.

12 Feb 2011

Hi Kevin, All,

I apologise for any problems some of you are seeing with regard to connectivity. We are trying to identify where in the network these problems may be occurring, and will update you as soon as possible.

I also appreciate some of you are working on entries for the circuit cellar competition, and will talk to them myself about entries that may have been impacted by this. If you are experiencing problems, it'd be better if you email us at support@mbed.org, perhaps including your geographical area, as this will help us identify problems, keep note of those impacted, and avoid bothering circuit cellar, as it is our problem.

I hope for a speedy resolution, and have the greatest confidence in the team working on this, so hope you will bear with us as we identify the cause.

Thank you to everyone for all your support over our first year; I hope you will bear with us during this upset, and look forward to helping you build amazing things in the future.

Simon

06 Mar 2011

...just a follow-up: I was using the site pretty heavily the day before the contest was due, and was worried it would be swamped with everybody finishing up. The performance was fine, no problems at all. Excellent job!

06 Mar 2011

Hi J, All,

The networking guys did actually track this down and fix it a few hours after this post; we wanted to monitor it before reporting back prematurely, but never got around to confirming all was good.

FYI, the problem was actually a fault with one of the upgraded firewalls. Under increased levels of traffic it would start exhibiting behaviour that ultimately resulted in dropped packets. The effect was that to some clients at busy times it felt like heavily loaded servers, but actually it was just packets being dropped on the floor!

So we're still very happy in our server provisioning, and will continue to make sure server load never becomes an issue. Dan and the other networking guys did a great job to track down the actual cause; thanks to those impacted for persevering and helping us track down the issue during that weekend.

Simon

21 Mar 2011

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but it's happening again today. Often can't save or compile. Sometimes closing the tab and opening the compiler again fixes the problem, but that's hardly a real solution.

10 Oct 2016

All these posts about compiler being slow where made in 2011. But now it is 2016 and we have the same problem.