Precompiled Libraries for faster Compiling

02 Feb 2012

Hey guys! I am developing a project using 7 additional libraries. Each time I compile the project, all Libs were compiled. This takes a lot of time, I only can wait. What about caching compiled Libraries? For an hour or two, this would be not too much memory and would rise the compiling speed.

Too some Source-Files (or better all) should be compiled only if changed.

05 Feb 2012

Got to agree, especially as the compiler has been really slow the last 2 days and this morning I can't get it to complete the process. No error but green slider gets stuck and then the process 'finishes' without downloading the bin. If I hit compile again it just downloads (no compilation first) and the bin doesn't run.

05 Feb 2012

Hi Peter,

Compiler should be back to normal for you now; one of our compiler servers needed some unblocking, but now fixed. Tell us if you see any more problems.

Re: pre-compiled libraries. We've just been planning out our next project priorities, and an update to the build system to speed this up is one of the items we'll be working on. SHould make it all much faster when dealing with libraries. I'll perhaps share some of the main things we'll be working on over the next few months if that would be interesting.

Simon

05 Feb 2012

Thanks Simon, it's been working fine again this afternoon :)

I think we'd all be interested to see what's in the pipeline for the near future.

03 May 2012

Simon Ford wrote:

Hi Peter,

Compiler should be back to normal for you now; one of our compiler servers needed some unblocking, but now fixed. Tell us if you see any more problems.

Re: pre-compiled libraries. We've just been planning out our next project priorities, and an update to the build system to speed this up is one of the items we'll be working on. SHould make it all much faster when dealing with libraries. I'll perhaps share some of the main things we'll be working on over the next few months if that would be interesting.

Simon

what's the status of the above... or is there some method we can use to avoid, say, in using NetServices, a big recompile of all the sources for a small user program.

03 May 2012

Hopefully dan will announce a beta for incremental compiles today :)

It'll be the first of a few updates you should see this month as we roll out the new functionality that has been in the works for a while...

03 May 2012

better yet... The mbed IDE could/should keep track of which sources have changed and recompile only those. As we know, that's how IDEs normally work. For mbed's online compiler, perhaps a compromise is to compile all sources first time, then keep track of changed sources from there and avoid repeated recompilation of unchanged sources. This, in case precompile (ar files?) are hard to maintain with mbed.

04 May 2012

first run - NICE!