Suggestions and Bugs

This forum topic has been closed.

10 Dec 2009

P1_xx numbers refer to the internal ports bits which in turn can be traced to specific pins of the mbed chip. The pins connected to LEDs are not connected to any of the DIP pins. Consider them "extra pins", if you will.

10 Dec 2009

Hi Ian,

This is indeed a little bit complicated.

The lowercase pXX pin numbers represent the pins on your mbed. The uppercase PX_YY pin numbers the pin number on the target, means the NXP LPC1768. There are directly called as in the LPC1768 user manual: port X pin YY.

To answer your initial question the LEDs pins are not connected to the mbed pinout. For example if you look at LED1 it is P1_18 (LPC port 1 pin 18). If you now have a look at the mbed pins there is no pXX pin matching a mapping to P1_18.

I hop this answers your question

Cheers

Rolf

11 Dec 2009

Rolf Meyer wrote:

Hi Ian,

This is indeed a little bit complicated.

The lowercase pXX pin numbers represent the pins on your mbed. The uppercase PX_YY pin numbers the pin number on the target, means the NXP LPC1768. There are directly called as in the LPC1768 user manual: port X pin YY.

To answer your initial question the LEDs pins are not connected to the mbed pinout. For example if you look at LED1 it is P1_18 (LPC port 1 pin 18). If you now have a look at the mbed pins there is no pXX pin matching a mapping to P1_18.

I hop this answers your question

Cheers

Rolf

It does ... They are extras. I was only mislead (misLED) by the dimming LED example, which give me the impression that one of the on-board LEDS was conected to the PWM output ... Thanks to you both.ian

12 Dec 2009

I created a program with a very long array initialisation string (1074 bool elements, all on one line). The program compiled and runs fine, however I am unable now to reload that source file (the IDE hangs with the message "Loading, please wait...").

Is there a limit on the length of each line?

22 Dec 2009

I selected "save as" on a project to make a copy (primitive version control...) and started to edit the new version of main.cpp. My initial changes to the new version were then reflected both in the copied source file, and the original. This behaviour stopped when I refreshed the IDE.

However, the binaries generated always reflected the original source, no matter what edits I made. Is there some caching going on that I can force a refresh upon?

Cheers,

Tim

22 Dec 2009

Two Passwords Please

I like mbed a lot, but for Industrial and Educational use it would be much better if it had Two Passwords. A regular User one which attracts mail responses etc. and is alowed to change its own password. And a Supervisor one, which does not attract mail responses, but gives the ability to change its own and the User password. Both Passwords would give access to the same Compiler window. This will allow an mbed to be built in to a system and its subsequent maintenence not depend on the original user's password being maintained (ie the person left!). From an educational perspective, it allows mbeds to be unlocked when mischevous students change somebody else's password. In both cases the mbed would have a permanent Name assigned (stuck on a label).

22 Dec 2009

Hi Ian,

Ian Phillips wrote:
I like mbed a lot, but for Industrial and Educational use it would be much better if it had Two Passwords. A regular User one ... and a Supervisor one. From an educational perspective, it allows mbeds to be unlocked when mischevous students change somebody else's password. In both cases the mbed would have a permanent Name assigned (stuck on a label).
Thanks for the feedback - I think you are highlighting an underlying use case that may not be very well supported at the moment. We'll have a think about this in the new year, and see if there is a way it could be supported more appropriately for the scenarios you describe. I think the real thing you are asking for is a way to create/assign additional accounts/licenses, and potentially a way to centrally administor a group of them (such as the supervisor in an eductional environment).

An important thing to clarify is (even if the current limitations tempt you), never give out your account username and password; this is yours and it is your responsibility to keep it secret - you should look after it like any other user accounts you have of the web. We'll look to how we can support your described use cases, but for the moment it is 1 board, 1 account.

Thanks again and merry christmas!
Simon

22 Dec 2009

Cant see how to find Published Programs. I can see my own, but can't see anybody else's. Unlike Notebook, Programs does not have a Search Box.

23 Dec 2009

Ian Phillips wrote:

Cant see how to find Published Programs. I can see my own, but can't see anybody else's. Unlike Notebook, Programs does not have a Search Box.

Hi Ian,

If you search from the search box on the front page, it will search against published programs as well as everything else. Hopefully this will made clearer in the near future with a forthcoming site update.

Thanks,

Dan

Here are some ideas for the web site:

The forum should be divided into a few sub-forums.  It's getting difficult to search topics these days, and I'm sure the more parts you sell (and the more members you get), the more complicated it will get.

If you want to get really state-of-the-art, then add some real-time chat rooms, and flash-based video conferencing for "showing-off" projects or doing an on-line class.

Scott

02 Jan 2010

Suggestions for the IDE: I am fickle & very picky about vaiable names, and often find that my initial choices can be improved later in the design.  A search/replace function in the IDE would be very valuable (extending the current 'Find')

Dave

08 Jan 2010

I noticed somewhere in the Forum that there is a 3 hour mbed training course offered in random cities.  I will not be able to attend any of these, but was wondering if the handouts/reference material will be available for those that can not attend?  Thanks.

09 Jan 2010 . Edited: 09 Jan 2010

I've got a bug on the site. When ever I open the compiler I get the error 'no key board found'. Seeing as I'm typing this I'm pretty sure it's wrong. I am using a wireless keyboard, though I would be suprised if that was it.

09 Jan 2010 . Edited: 09 Jan 2010

Hi Joe,

joe.muller.uk@... wrote:
When ever I open the compiler I get the error 'no key board found'. Seeing as I'm typing this I'm pretty sure it's wrong. I am using a wireless keyboard, though I would be suprised if that was it.

We were a little confused about this one for a second, especially as your post itself also made the site hiccup; a slight distraction. Turns out they were not unrelated!

The problem was actually "no board key" (rather than "no key board"), as in, no registered license for the mbed microcontroller board was found. We checked your acount and it was missing some entries which caused this problem (you joined as a beta tester at a particular time when some features were missing); it has now been fixed, and you should now be able to use the compiler fine.

Please tell us if you continue to have problems.

Simon

11 Jan 2010 . Edited: 11 Jan 2010

Hi Bill,

bill rodgers wrote:
I noticed somewhere in the Forum that there is a 3 hour mbed training course offered in random cities.  I will not be able to attend any of these, but was wondering if the handouts/reference material will be available for those that can not attend?

I'll see if NXP will make any of the material available after the events. We'll also aim to put up an events calendar for these sorts of things.

Simon

11 Jan 2010

Hola,

Hay alguien que hable Español? Se está barajando la idea de hacer un apartado en el foro de Mbed en Español como sucede en el de Arduino y para ello nada mejor que hablar entre los interesados.

Saludos.

13 Jan 2010

Closing this thread - please raise any unresolved (or new) issues in the Bugs and Suggestions forum. Thanks!