Safari: Paste bug

22 Dec 2011

I am currently using a Mac that has only Safari. When I'm in the Mbed editor and copy&pasting, the paste command 'cmd-V' doesn't work properly: - cmd-V once: nothing. - cmd-V a second time: two copies of the paste buffer are pushed into the file.

This, along with the "Safari Highlighting in Compiler" bug which makes selecting the text to copy, makes Safari very hard to use.

I am happy to do some testing for Mbed to fix these bugs - just let me know.

Merry Christmas to all!

Anthony

12 Jan 2012

Update: I've just moved to a shiny new Mac (Santa was good to me) and I have a similar problem in both Safari and Firefox. It seems to be more frequent which is strange for a freshly installed Mac (I thought that it might have been something with my old mac making issues). If I cmd-U (Undo) it removes both paste (cmd-V) but that could also be something to do with rapid key-repeat that afflicts the Mac.

13 Jan 2012

Yeah, I hit this issue on my Snow Leopard machine as well. It started happening after I took a Safari update awhile back but the problem followed along even after I switched to Chrome. On my machine I too see the double paste but in addition, sometimes nothing happens when I attempt a paste, and other times, I get some older data from the clipboard pasted. It sort of acts like an uninitialized variable.

Anthony Buckton wrote:

This, along with the "Safari Highlighting in Compiler" bug which makes selecting the text to copy, makes Safari very hard to use.

I agree. In general I don't find using the mbed online editor to be a pleasant experience on the Mac.

13 Jan 2012

Hi Adam, Anthony,

We'll raise a ticket and have a look at this, as it does sound like things have changed. I'm also going to hit ebay to buy us another Mac for testing purposes, as our intention is definitely to support Mac very well!

Simon

18 Jan 2012

Hi Simon,

I have Javascript dev skills and happy to help if I can. We have 3 Macs here and I could even grant you remote access for remote testing if that helps ..

Anthony

18 Jan 2012

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for the offer. I think we've got them all squished (although investigations have shown up yet more strange behaviour to have to workaround in WebKit!), so we'll be looking to stage that on beta towards the end of the week along with a whole load of other behind the scenes work we've been doing. I'll alert you when it is good for testing...

Simon

21 Jan 2012

Hi Anthony, Adam,

The fixes are included on our latest http://mbed.org/betamode if you'd like to confirm it is fixed.

...turns out this is a bug in safari itself. And on 5.2.1 only, and on Mac only!

There are a few other editor fixes in there too, so please tell us if you see any further problems. Thanks again for the reports and sorry it took a while to track down.

Simon

23 Jan 2012

Hi Simon,

I've finally go to do some testing.... The first thing that I noticed was that when highlighting code, the "highlight bug" that I mentioned in the first post on this thread looks HEAPS better. AND, the cut, paste and undo all behave nicely in Safari. :)

The Bad news now: 1) I copied a large chunk of code (20lines) and pasted a few times with text interspersed. When I when and did "undo" the cursor ran to the top of the screen (showing line 56) and stuck there showing at most 1 line displayed (and it's line number) - that is, it didn't scroll down to reveal the rest of the text which may be legit behaviour, but it would be more friendly if it did scroll down a handful of lines.

2)The "cmd-? issue" (paste, undo) are still there in Firefox on Mac - which I swapped to given the issues with Safari. Whatever you've done for Safari may need to be done with Firefox on the Mac. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it almost looks like the Mac repeats as long as the cmd key is held down (where as a PC would only register the key event whilst the Alpha key is down...)

I gather that these are Mac-only issues ?

Regards,

Anthony

23 Jan 2012

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for the detailed report. We'll investigate 1). I think we have a fix for the previously reported 2), but we haven't put it live yet (just wanted to get the highlighting one confirmed). More when it is in place.

Thanks again,

Simon