Feature Request: mbed v2 (aka mbed mega!)

27 Apr 2011

Hey mbed!

Love this microcontroller. I don't know if you're ever planning an update to the mbed hardware - but if so I have a major feature suggestion (or a new product all together): the mbed SUPER!

Basically a version of mbed that's a little larger and gives us access to more (all?) of the internal GPIO ports on the mbed. This would be so cool, especially for high-speed pin toggling where shift registers couldn't compete with PortIn and PortOut...

I know it's a long shot, but I think it would be *really* cool!

11 Oct 2011

Since I would love to suggest this as well, and being already suggested this year, guess its not THAT bad a necro to say others would like it as well.

11 Oct 2011

I think that JTAG connector would be very usefull. Possibly a 'user' button (or two)

BTW the MBED is most defiantly the best overall development package possible. Especially, as nothing needs to be installed.

But what about BASIC HID INTERFACE.

That would knock the stuffing out of ALL the competition.

Cheers

Ceri

12 Oct 2011

Hi Ceri, All,

As you ask, here are a couple of preview photos from our lab :)

/media/uploads/simon/new-mbed.jpg

A first look at a new mbed Microcontroller we've been working on; this one is focused on prototyping cheap USB devices and battery powered products, but with 32-bit grunt! The silicon looks good, hardware looks good and libraries look good, so expect a beta before the end of the month!

And as for USB HID:

/media/uploads/simon/new-usb.jpg

We'll put out an alpha of this stack at the same time.

And while we're at it, a lot of work going on can be summarised by this:

/media/uploads/simon/repos.jpg

Will be a bit longer before we can let you play with this one, but I think it is going to be worth the wait. So hopefully lots of goodies before the end of the year to make your xmas extra special.

Simon

12 Oct 2011

I hearty volunteer myself as a tester :)

Cheers

Ceri

12 Oct 2011

Interesting info Simon and your team,

I want to add my comments here about the possibility of v2 of mbed,

Recently STM32 publish the Cortex-M4 family with 168MHz it has also hardware AES and many other much better features than NXP LPC1768, so I think is time to get work with STM32 family. And also is time to make good analog parts because the ADC parts on mbed or LPC1768 is not good at all.

Of cause is not easy sometime to turn to other manufacturer but after my experience with STM32 and NXP I can say STM32 now is in front and very nice structured and stable.

this is just personal view :)

Regards, Stas

12 Oct 2011

I look forward to new mbed! :)

12 Oct 2011

So are we! Chris just got it running off a single AA battery using one of these:

12 Oct 2011

This is very exciting!!

12 Oct 2011

Is the new MBED still using an NXP Part ? Cheers

Ceri.

12 Oct 2011

I think it uses LPC-1343... Mbed team have a close relationship with nxp!

12 Oct 2011

Nice try, but the device we're using doesn't even officially exist yet :) As soon as the manufacturer announces the part we're using, we'll fill you in on the mbed we've built using it!

12 Oct 2011

Oooooh! So I will keep watching!

12 Oct 2011

I'd love to see an LPC3250 based device....

Quick summary... 266Mhz clock, DDR RAM bus, and LOTS of bells and whistles... datasheet here.

Simon Ford wrote:

Nice try, but the device we're using doesn't even officially exist yet :) As soon as the manufacturer announces the part we're using, we'll fill you in on the mbed we've built using it!

Didn't catch the gist of this... so I'll add 'OOOooooo an unknown part'

13 Oct 2011

A hardware debugger and two GND's so we can have a separate ground for the ADC and the DAC. I know all audio people will really appreciate that as well as the debugger. some video libs for streaming videos from YouTube would be cool, maybe out of the league for the mbed at the moment tho, is that in the psp league? I think I will stare at the apple ipad videos all day:)