Table of Contents
Mbed OS 2 and Mbed OS 5
This is the handbook for Mbed OS 2. If you’re working with Mbed OS 5, please see the new handbook.
The latest firmware version for the FRDM-KL46Z is: 0203. To check your firmware version, open the MBED.HTM file on your mbed Microcontroller.
These instructions explain how to upgrade your firmware.
1. Save the latest firmware in bootloader mode¶
While holding down the small button between the USB connectors, plug the Freedom board into the connector marked SDA - the bottom one as shown.
When the FRDM-KL46Z is plugged in this way, it will appear as a disk called BOOTLOADER which you can simply copy the update file onto. Make sure to unzip before copying to the disk called BOOTLOADER!!
Firmware update on Linux or Mac
If you are using Linux or Mac, according to the version of the bootloader of your board, the BOOTLOADER might not appear. If you experience this problem, you have no choice but to use a Windows machine to update the firmware.
PE Micro has release an update for the bootloader. Version 1.11 now supports Linux and MAC [ link ]
The latest mbed interface upgrade file for the FRDM-KL46Z is (right click, save target as) :
- (ONLY If the above does not save correctly, unzip the following) 20140530_k20dx128_kl46z_if_opensda.s19.zip
2. Power cycle the board to update the firmware¶
After you have copied on the file onto the FRDM-KL46Z, simply unplug it, and plug it back in again, and the the USB disk will appear and an mbed disk.
rev 0203 [ ... ]
- USBDevice stack patches for composite (CDC / MSC) race condition
- Flash algorithms created from new Kinetis flash driver source
- Mass-erase cannot be disabled and flash security enabled cannot be set (MSD programming only fails reserved bits for these conditions)
- UART serialization patch
- Semihosting not enabled by default
- Updated mass erase sequence
rev 0201[ ... ]
- Small delay when disconnecting and reconnecting after programming completes
- Windows 8.1 support
rev beta2[ ... ]
- Update a rogue flash algo that was not protecting the target MCU
rev beta [ ... ]
- Initial release