Status of the mbed platform..

12 Jan 2011

Hey all.. I was just wondering what the mbed team has been busy with. I noticed lately that the team is primarily working on the website (which is good), but I was wondering what's going on with the hardware and the mbed library side of things. It seems like the development of the mbed platform has slowed and the team is relying on the community to somewhat fill in the void. Comments?

12 Jan 2011

Hi Igor,

Yes, we've been very busy! Still a bit of a 24/7 job for us all, but I did let everyone have some time off for christmas :)

We've certainly made sure our attention over our 1st year live (!) has been on understanding in what ways we could help people get stuff done. That has primarily meant focussing on the website and compiler features (notebooks, libraries, publishing, searching, wikis, etc) and keeping the libraries and hardware as stable as possible. I think that was a really good decision, rather than trying to bring out lots of hardware or library variants.

But as you guessed, we have been working on other hardware that we're pretty excited about, and we'll be looking for beta testers for that when we're happy with everything. The plan is to up-rev the libraries at the same time. I'll post more here when we're ready as it'd be great to get some feedback on the pre-production prototypes.

And just to give you a bit of an insight, here is some of what we were working on today:

• Planning for building mbed.org to run simultaneously across multiple global data-centers
  • The support system we're integrating to improve email support response times
  • Specs for supporting resources and kit to go with a book being written
  • Library architecture work for multiple targets and RTOS integration
  • Test PCBs back for next platform!

So I hope that gives you confidence there is not a void! And hopefully with your help, mbed's second year will be even better than the first!

Simon

12 Jan 2011

Thanks for your reply Simon. That sounds great! I admit, I haven't been spending a lot of time with the mbed, but I do check in from time to time. Right now I'm working with a different development platform so I haven't had much time to put in some serious work with the mbed. Don't get me wrong, the mbed is great and I certainly hope it sticks around for a long while. But (as with any other microcontroller) you can't use it for everything :)