[OPINIONS] What's missing in Serial Communications?

-deleted-
02 Feb 2011

Hey guys, how's everything??

I finally got my MBED and one of the first projects I'm making is a serial port communication utility for MBED. We can all agree that serial communication is great because it allows us to quickly connect to MBED and debug programs.

With cross-platform in mind, I have already started to code it and I would now want to know what features you think a Serial Communicator should have. I have programmed the two basic features which are 'Listen' and 'Send Command'. Using these with a Custom Library for MBED, it would prove most useful for any user using any operating system and having any level of knowledge on the subject.

With this, I then plan on releasing this utility here for anyone that needs it. So, what do you think??

Cheers

02 Feb 2011

I think I might just be a bit ahead of you. I have a Serial comms package that does send, listen, command, RPC style stuff, lots more and it works over serial and ethernet transports.

-deleted-
02 Feb 2011

Hey Andy, that's awesome :) I have searched the website but didn't find anything directly related... My search skills must not be good :P

Well, I will still continue the project but since you already have one, I'll keep mine to myself. (Programming it in Java)

Cheers

02 Feb 2011

Hi there, you didn't find it yet cos I haven't released it yet. Still polishing the network code. But please do release yours when ready, don't hold back on my account. We can all learn from each other :)

-deleted-
02 Feb 2011

Well, mine will be a much simpler version :) but thanks for the support, I'll be sure to release it here.

03 Feb 2011

Tiago, I can assure you mine started simple too! Your's will grow too ;)

03 Feb 2011

does the mbed support pc.scanf(%d, &test)

-deleted-
03 Feb 2011

Hey,

@Andy: Well thanks a lot for the support. I'll be doing it next week, since I'm still on exams at my university, but once finished, I'll start coding what's left.

@Charles: I recommend reading this: http://mbed.org/handbook/Serial It's all there with code samples.

Cheers