Problem with WiFly module: cannot enter command mode

19 Aug 2013

I've been trying out some of the example WiFly programs but now the WiFly Interface library is not working. It comes back with errors saying that commands are not acknowledged with "AOK" and that the WiFly module is not in command mode. Sure enough, I can no longer manually enter command mode. I do not get the "CMD" response when entering "$$$" with this program. My telnet connections also time out. I've tried resetting the module by toggling GPIO_9 five times but the problem persists. Does anyone have any advice on what to do?

29 Jun 2014

Hi Michael, I see that this is from nearly a year ago, hopefully you've long since found the answer. But perhaps for others that may come upon this same unanswered question, I've enhanced the Cookbook - WiflyInterface page with some troubleshooting advice. Based on your note above, you've already covered the most reliable fall-back - 5 pulses on the GPIO line.

• Did you solve your problem? (and if so, can you share the solution?)
  • Did it ever work? [Your note suggests that it did for a while...]
    • If it did, and nothing else brings it back to life, perhaps it has failed - static electricity damage, or something else.
    • If it never worked for you, then I would suspect power, ground, or receive and transmit are either swapped, or not configured for the right pins on the mbed.
  • For the 5-pulse recovery, I don't recall what the LEDs do, but I think they will at least change behavior briefly, to indicate that the recovery is happening. Do they do that?