Contributing exporter to VisualGDB

28 Jun 2017

Hi All,

We would like to contribute support for exporting mbed projects to VisualGDB, our Visual Studio extension that supports advanced editing and debugging features.

What is the procedure for reviewing this? Should we simply submit a pull request adding a new exporter to mbed-os/tools/export? Are there any special considerations we should keep in mind while adding support?

01 Aug 2017

This would be great! Please add this feature!

09 Aug 2017

That would be a very valuable addition to mbed, since although I truly value Keil-MDK, I do have to admit, the IDE itself is somewhat stiff.

VisualStudio in combination with VisualGDB is not only an affordable (students, home-use) but also a way more modern and highly performant solution compared to other available embedded IDE solutions.

I certainly do support this approach and do hope it will be a feature in mbed in the near future!

24 Aug 2017

Any news on this?

24 Aug 2017

All,

Please have a look at our guide to adding a new exporter - https://docs.mbed.com/docs/mbed-os-handbook/en/latest/cont/adding_exporters/

However, we do have support for a VisualStudio exporter now - https://github.com/ARMmbed/mbed-os/tree/master/tools/export/vscode. So, it might be a matter of reading though that documentation and finding out how to modify the vscode template to support your extension.

Cheers, Sarah

08 Sep 2017

Hi Sarah,

Thank you very much for the links. The current Visual Studio exporter targets Visual Studio Code (that is a completely different product despite the similar name), so we will have to add an exporter from scratch.

We will be happy to contribute the exporter, but I am concerned that if we simply fork the mbed repository and add our exporter to our private fork, it won't be as usable as including it into the mainstream repo. Given that we provide all the necessary code, would it be possible to include our exporter in the main mbed repository? Are there any special requirements (like test coverage)?

14 Jun 2018

Any news on this?