Download binary automatically to mbed device - Firefox

07 Sep 2010

How to set up your Firefox 3.6.8 to automatically download program_name*.bin files to your mbed drive. Link

(I started writing it up in my mbed notebook, but I wanted to be able to save as a draft before I posted it)

Hope this helps someone out there!

06 Dec 2010

Alex,

This is pretty helpful, thanks! One problem:

If I have a bin file on there already, and I compile/download a new version of the program, it doesn't overwrite the existing one. Instead, I end up with a new file, "progName_LPC1768(2).bin". It appears that the mbed just programs this new file anyway, regardless of the name - but every so often I have to delete a bunch of the files, since they build up over time. Just wondering if you noticed this and/or found a workaround.

Thanks!

09 Dec 2010

The Mbed controller looks for the file with the newest timestamp and this is what it loads to flash from.  In most cases, this is exactly what you're trying to do anyways (make a revision and upload it, without having to delete the old one(s)).  Having the number sequence to the files helps a little with 'version control'.. as now you can just document which versions worked or didn't.  and you can easily go back without re-compiling, just by deleting the most recent non-working version.  I think you can also create a folder from which to move files to that it won't boot with.  Thus you could keep a copy simply by moving it there to go back and re-check some functionality that was accidentally altered.