Interfacing Gaming steering wheel on mbed

31 Jan 2011

Hello everyone

I am having problem on understanding if the mbed can interface with a gaming steering wheel that connects through USB. I am currently doing a university project on driver assistance systems and i need the steering angle readings. I've never used a gaming steering wheel so excuse me for my primitive questions. I've heard that interfacing with USB devices could be compicated. What will I need? How will I obtain a signal?

Thanks

31 Jan 2011

Which gaming wheel do you plan on using? (i.e., one for XBox, PS3, generic). Helps to know. I have a driver that allows a standard XBox360 gamepad to connect to an Mbed. If you are using a wheel that's XBox360 Gamepad compat that it ought to work (mind you, the XBox World, MS, love to put spanners in your works, notably the chatpad which you can't read).

31 Jan 2011

Hi Andy. Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of using a PC/generic steering wheel to be honest. If I understood correctly you have a driver for connecting XBox to MBED; that means that I will have to find a compatible driver to connect it. One question, where can I find compat. drivers? Thanks a lot.

01 Feb 2011

No, not an XBOX to Mbed. A wired USB XBox360 Gamepad (you know, the thing in your hands while you are playing on an XBox360). I wrote the driver myself, it sits on top of a self modified BlueUSB stack.

http://p.gzhls.at/164921.jpg

01 Feb 2011

Ok Andy thanks for the help.