bluetooth tethering

19 Nov 2010
I'm currently trying to get an android phone to tether for an mbed with a bluetooth module. I think I have to write some sort of wrapper for the bluetooth module so that I can use bluetooth as a network device but I'm not sure where to start. I took a look at the NetServices library and looked at a few source files and saw that most net interfaces inherit from the PPPNetIf. Am I on the right track?
19 Nov 2010

Maybe a simpler question would be how to send the packets through serial port instead of a network device?

03 Dec 2010

any luck?

12 Dec 2010

Michael Chai wrote:

Maybe a simpler question would be how to send the packets through serial port instead of a network device?

Hi Michael

Have a look at the thread here.

Regards
Daniel

Edit: I assume that if I can get a wired connection going to my T68i, then I can use a serial Bluetooth profile to do the same thing wirelessly as well.

12 Dec 2010 . Edited: 12 Dec 2010

12 Dec 2010 . Edited: 12 Dec 2010

.   Hi, if you are using a bluetooth module I supose it is  through serial port on mbed, so first you need to configure the bluetooth module to connect with  android phone .

.  Refer to manual , there are some commands, first scan for bluetooth devices, than choose your android phone to connect. Once you are connected the bluetooth module acts as a transparent link from mbed serial and your android phone AT commands interface(you can do anything in the phone by this interface).

.  I also have a bluetooth module with serial interface, first I need to do a scan with  command ATF?  than it starts to scan , the mobile appears , than I can do  connect to my mobile with command ATA1 and it connects to my mobile(there is a default pin on module that you should input on your phone on the connection request), this is the manual connect mode, for automatic connection I use the mac adress of bluethooth of the phone to make the predifined connection device and it always connect to the phone automatic.

.   After connected I have direct access to AT commands interface on the fone, U can test it with command ATI (mobile information) or other to make sure the connection is OK. (Should be better to test it before you implement the code  with a  serial adapter to PC and use a serial program to communicate with the module to make tests first).

. Then after this step you can think about make a GPRS connection, I think you can use GPRSModuleNetIf class , I have not tested yet, but when I have time I will test it becase I am trying to use a GPRS module to have web access but it needs to do the PPP negotiation first

Regards

12 Dec 2010

Vitor M wrote:

if you are using a bluetooth module I supose it is through serial port on mbed

Not necessarily, I'm planning on using a USB dongle and the BlueUSB software.

Regards
Daniel

12 Dec 2010

That option will be valid too, but not sure how it works, the process should be the same as the serial connection, U need to have acess to the AT commands interface on bluethoot dongle to do the actions you want. It should emulate a COM port to the dongle to make the communication.

With a serial module its is realy simple to communicate with the module.

Any one have tried to have access to the AT command interface on a bluethooth usb dongle?