0832 LED Matrix

04 Dec 2010 . Edited: 04 Dec 2010

Hi has anyone managed to get a 832 LED Matrix working with the MBED?

I've tried everything to get mine working but nothing happens! the wiring appears correct and I've even compared my code to arduino and PIC code which drive the same boards and I appear to be doing the same thing.

Thanks in advance,

Ian

04 Dec 2010

I modified the arduino Code i found on the net... for a first test. I published it on my page, it works for me. Hope to build a lib for those 0832 and 1624 Dot Matrix Displays.

Hi Ralf,

That great... but, I tried your code but that didn't work for me! :(... Stil nothing happens. It must be wiring....

I'm connecting 3 wires fron mbed pins to the 0832 CS2, WR, and DATA lines, a further wire from GND on the mbed to a GND on the 0832, have selected dip switch CS2 as being on. Have wired a seperate +5v/GND to the +5v/GND power. Have changed the pins in the code to correspond accordingly with the pins on the mbed. I can't think what else to check.

Any thoughts? Would you be able to upload a screen shot of how you have your kit wired?

Thanks in advance,

Ian

Hi Ian,

strange ... i took CS1, WR and DATA from the display.

I hope you can see anything on the picture....

Wiring mbed to 0832 Dot-Matrix Display

Hi Ralf!

Thanks for that! It was similar to mine except except for i was using CS2, external 5v and a carrier board.... So I stipped it all down and rewired without the carrier and external 5v as yours using CS1 from afresh and its all working now! yay! I thought it might have been the carrier board, CS2 or external 5v... but when I reseated in the carrier and applied external 5v and used CS2 again it still works! strange! must have been a dodgy connection somewhere!

Thanks for your help. its not a bad matrix considering how relatively cheap they are! Now to figure out something interesting to do with it!

Ian

23 Nov 2012

Hey guys,

I am trying to use the LED Matrix on https://www.sparkfun.com/products/759 and unable to find some working code for it. This is a crunch time for my project so don't have enough time to work out the code or a library.

Can someone help me out with a working code and connections?

25 Nov 2012

Hi Neel,

sorry, but the board you want to use is completly different from the one i used. I've seen it before but haven't bought it till now. Programming for that board shouldn't be too difficult, you have to bitbang the data for the row and column. To help you with the code, i have to get my hands on such a display.

EDIT: This is a Olimex Display. Demo Code for msp430 is avaiable for download: https://www.olimex.com/Products/MSP430/Booster/MOD-LED8x8/

Greetings

Ralf

27 Nov 2012

Hi

I've used these displays for a number of years now on Arduino and now mbed. After a recent accident with a 12V supply I've had to purchase more. The difference this time is that they use the HT1632C driver not the HT1632. I had converted my Arduino library to work on mbed and its available at https://mbed.org/users/SomeRandomBloke/code/HT1632_LedMatrix/ At present I dont have any examples as this was a quick hack to get the library working for my own use with the Vodafone dongle to display received SMS.

The library has a font file and can support upto 4 displays. The new displays dont stack vertically any more. The original ones I had were able to be stacked vertically to produce a nice 64x16 display. Now its limited to a max of 128x8 which is great for a scrolling message display. The library also has basic graphic functions for drawing points, lines, rectangles and circles, although these are a bit limited at 8 pixels high.

Please be aware that the library is a quick conversion from my arduino library to work on mbed and as such the documentation is pretty much non-existent. It was originally based on code for these displays when they were first used by Arduino people and enhanced with the font file and graphic drawing capabilities. The font file came from another library so there may be references to nokia displays in there!

Todo:

• Add proper documentation to library
  • Add examples - scrolling message, simple graphic demos, character positioning.
  • Add support for 24x16 displays when I get hold of a few.

If you find this library useful then let me know. Any issues, corrections or other comments welcome.

thanks

Andy

28 Nov 2012

Just created an example message scroller that uses the library, its at http://mbed.org/users/SomeRandomBloke/code/HT1632MsgScroller/

Thanks

Andy