Local file system difficulty - any updates?

08 Sep 2009

I am writing code which writes a file to the LocalFileSystem. I read in the mbed procedures that the files disappear from the USB mass storage when the micro is accessing the LocalFileSystem. This proves to be true, and is a nuisance because the files are not visible from the host till the code exits. Can the library be changed so that the file system remains visible and only the open file invisible? Is there another call which switches the file system back on when the micro doesn't want access?

Tony

08 Sep 2009

Hi Tony,

Tony Abbey wrote:
I read in the mbed procedures that the files disappear from the USB mass storage when the micro is accessing the LocalFileSystem. Can the library be changed so that the file system remains visible and only the open file invisible?

Unfortunately this isn't really possible, as there are effectively two masters in the system (mbed and PC), and both can't have access to the underlying storage at the same time (the PC is accessing the storage as a block device, not via files, so you can't do "per file" things). However,

Tony Abbey wrote:
Is there another call which switches the file system back on when the micro doesn't want access?

something like this may be possible. We've been playing with some ideas in this area and we'll see if we can come up with a solution that could work.

Simon

30 Sep 2009

Hi Tony,

If you try the new firmware we just released for mbed, you should find it now releases the disk whenever there are no open files. See

/handbook/Firmware

Hope this gives you what you were after. Tell us how you get on!

Simon