Changing serial name/number

15 May 2010

Hi all, just got my mbed and am having a good time with it.  I'm porting a program that I wrote for Arduino a while back, in hopes that it will run a bit faster on the mbed (it is basically a scanning button matrix).  Thus far, it has been fairly painless, but one thing I need to do is change the USB serial number of the mbed.  It's meant to interface with a program that looks for certain serial number patterns, and only communicates with those devices.  Is there a way to do this on the mbed?  For reference, the method used for the Arduino involves downloading some apps put out by FTDI and changing the serial number there.

15 May 2010 . Edited: 15 May 2010

Hi Colin,

The mbed USB interface device serial number is fixed unfortunately, as it identifies the mbed USB interface chip.

It is of course possible to implement a USB serial interface using the 1768's own onboard USB interface (and D+/D- pins), but I don't have a good example I can point you at to do that at this time. That could have any ID as it'd be totally under your control.

What is the software that has this restriction of talking only to certain IDs?

Simon

15 May 2010

Shoot.  The program is MonomeSerial (monome is a button pad, which sends serial messages over USB in a certain format which are then translated to MIDI or OSC).  Since I posted this, I've actually hacked a MonomeSerial alternative, serial-pyio, to recognize devices with names like usbmodemxxx, so that works!

-Colin