mbed for other platforms?

09 Mar 2013

Hi everyone,

I am pleased to see that the mbed code has been open-sourced, I think mbed code has a great potential as a cross-platform API.

The announcement hints at other platforms coming in down the line. I guess these are under wraps, but are there any hints? In particular, I am interested in running mbed on Arduino Due. Basically, if I start work on a port, will I be wasting my time and would it be better to wait a bit for an "official" port?

Regards

09 Mar 2013

Hi Bob,

There aren't any official plans for that platform, so i don't think you'd be wasting your time.

We'll share other platforms as/when it makes sense, just sometimes it is dependant on when the chips/boards themselves are announced so we often can't pre-empt that! But i'd expect a few more this year :)

Simon

09 Mar 2013

Offtopic: My guess is TI, their boards also have an interface microcontroller (at least last one I checked), and I get the idea they are fairly desperate to get more marketshare.

10 Mar 2013

Based on this article it seems likely that there will be an mbed board with the NXP LPC812 (Cortex M0+, 16K Flash, 4K Ram, 30MHz) in April. The NXP LPC-800 MAX development board is going to be compatible with lpcxpresso, mbed and arduino. Target cost is $20 USD.

12 Mar 2013

Freescale have just announced mbed compatibility with their new Freedom development boards. They have an ARM M0+ core, capacitive touch and an accelerometer with a price of $12.

https://mbed.org/handbook/mbed-FRDM-KL25Z-Getting-Started

19 Apr 2013

Hi everyone,

Could this board also be suppoted by the MBED platform?

http://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/microcontrollers/32-bit-industrial-microcontrollers-based-on-arm-registered-cortex-tm-m/32-bit-xmc1000-industrial-microcontrollers-arm-registered-cortex-tm-m0/xmc1000-starter-kits/boot-kit-xmc1300/channel.html?channel=db3a30433cfb5caa013d115ee9e7066c

It seems fairly priced and more capable than the Freescale Freedom's MCU. They also have the Dave bench platform that is free of charge.

Thank you in advance.

19 Apr 2013

We have finally written an initial document about porting the mbed SDK to new targets.

HTH, Emilio

19 Apr 2013

Emilio Monti wrote:

We have finally written an initial document about porting the mbed SDK to new targets.

HTH, Emilio

You guys rock. Thank you :) .

25 Jun 2013

A quick update.

We have started receiving contributions of new targets to the mbed SDK:

More community ports are under development: see the mbed network graph

We now have an mbed SDK & HDK developer mailing list: mbed-devel.

Every contribution to the project is welcome.

Cheers,
Emilio

25 Jun 2013

Will they also get available in the online compiler?

26 Jun 2013

Erik - wrote:

Will they also get available in the online compiler?

At the moment, our plan is to add to the online compiler only the development boards that meet these requisites:

• the board is using a microcontroller of one of the mbed partners (currently NXP and Freescale)
  • the board provides the following interface:
    • USB MSD for programming
    • USB Serial for communication
    • USB CMSIS-DAP for debugging

For helping development boards designers to provide such interface, we can give the source code of our current implementation for the existing mbed development boards, with the long term plan of running it as a proper open source project, like we are currently doing for the mbed SDK.

Cheers,
Emilio