mbed + Windows 8

08 Nov 2012

Hello,

I just upgraded to a new laptop with Windows 8 Professional. After connecting my mbed target to the PC via the USB there is no enumeration of the device. When I look in the Device Manager in Windows there is no Disk Driver->"mbed Microcontroller USB Device" or USB controllers->"mbed Composite Device" Power is successfully applied to the board but there is no other USB enumeration activity.

Has anyone tried using the mbed with Windows 8 and had success? Thanks in advance for any tips.

09 Nov 2012

Thanks to Chris Styles: the issue was with the USB cable. A higher quality one does the trick.

10 Nov 2012

I've found that very many USB cables have a wire gauge too small to carry the current that the USB standard says is available on the port. Some such cables cause a high I*R (Ohm's law) voltage drop. Generally, the stiffer, the bigger the gauge. There are some USB cables with two plugs and the current from two ports is summed with a low-drop pair of diodes or some such. One plug is power-only. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812186123&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA