System Requirements for MBED

22 Oct 2012

Okay, so I'm mainly concerned for what drivers have to be installed in order for the MBED to be recognized as Flash storage device.

Thanks

22 Oct 2012

Hello John,

I think that mbed is recognized as USB MSD device when inserted to PC. But as I understand, mbed is composite USB device with MSD interface and CDC (serial). I assume that drivers are needed for virtaul serial port interface.

22 Oct 2012

There are two answers:

• You need no drivers on your PC to recognize the mbeds flash memory for programming the device. Just connect a USB cable between the mbed mini USB socket and your PC. Note that you are in fact seeing the so-called magic interface chip and its external flash memory. You only need a driver when you want to use the serial port also.
  • You need no drivers on your PC to recognize the mbed LPC1768 as thumbstick memory emulator using the USB device pins D- and D+. Just load and run the appropriate mbed application code for USBMSD. http://mbed.org/handbook/USBMSD

The mbed will be recognised automatically as flash storage like any other USB thumbstick.

23 Oct 2012

I understand the MBED is just plug and play, the thing is, I am trying to plug into a high end Bore Scope to be able to output images through its USB ports, but the Scope doesn't recognize the device. Though it recognizes regular flash/thumb drives fine.

So I am wondering what type of firmware the scope might need to recognize the MBED device.

23 Oct 2012

John Kane wrote:

I understand the MBED is just plug and play, the thing is, I am trying to plug into a high end Bore Scope to be able to output images through its USB ports, but the Scope doesn't recognize the device. Though it recognizes regular flash/thumb drives fine.

So I am wondering what type of firmware the scope might need to recognize the MBED device.

• Are you using the mbed program flash (mini USB B) or the D-/D+ with USBMSD?
  • in case you use USBMSD:
    • Is the mbed powered either by PCs USB, external supply or by the Scopes USB port
    • Is the mbed GND connected to the Scopes USB port GND
    • Is USBMSD working when you plug it into a PC USB port?

Could be a problem related to insufficient memory. How big are the images you try to store.

30 Oct 2012

In that case I would recommend you to use the USB interface available in ports 31 and 32.