MBED Serial Driver Windows 7 64 Not Installing

03 Sep 2012

I'm having an issue installing the MBED Serial Port Driverfrom file "mbedWinSerial_16466.exe". When I run the install program I get a message that says "The driver could not be installed".

/media/uploads/numerical7/mbederror.jpg

Edit, this is not true: I see the device show up as a serial port in the device manager but the terminal program does not receive any data.

I do not see the device in the device manager but I am able to see it in the Windows Explorer. I can load programs on the MBED but it will not behave as a serial device.

The MBED is good because it works fine as a serial port on my other Windows 64 machine and other Linux Machine.

I tried all of the ideas from the following posts but they did not help. http://mbed.org/forum/mbed/post/329/ , http://mbed.org/forum/helloworld/post/16782/ , http://mbed.org/forum/helloworld/post/15430/

Can the MBED people help me fix this?

04 Sep 2012

Hi

You can have a look if there are any ghosted serial ports or unknown devices with a utility i've written (see http://ghostbuster.codeplex.com). Devices might not be visible in the device manager. Ghostbuster lets you remove ghosts. Escpecially for serial ports the comport number tends to change when you change the usb port it's plugged in and as the numbers are occupied, the comport number starts rising to high for certain types of old software.

The mbed flash drive does not require drivers (uses windows drivers), the serial port does. You might try running the installer explicitly as Administrator (right click context menu). This is slightly different from evalation prompts.

As a x64 user I can say it should work.

regards wvd_vegt

20 Sep 2012

Wim van der Vegt wrote:

Hi

You can have a look if there are any ghosted serial ports or unknown devices with a utility i've written (see http://ghostbuster.codeplex.com). Devices might not be visible in the device manager. Ghostbuster lets you remove ghosts. Escpecially for serial ports the comport number tends to change when you change the usb port it's plugged in and as the numbers are occupied, the comport number starts rising to high for certain types of old software.

The mbed flash drive does not require drivers (uses windows drivers), the serial port does. You might try running the installer explicitly as Administrator (right click context menu). This is slightly different from evalation prompts.

As a x64 user I can say it should work.

regards wvd_vegt

This did not fix the issue. Any other ideas?

20 Sep 2012

Hi Kevin,

Can you try to go into the device manager. Then plug your mbed. You should see a device appearing on the device manager (probably called mbed microcontroller). Right click on it, uninstall the driver.

Then unplug your mbed, connect it again and try to install the serial driver.

Cheers, Sam

20 Sep 2012

Samuel Mokrani wrote:

Hi Kevin,

Can you try to go into the device manager. Then plug your mbed. You should see a device appearing on the device manager (probably called mbed microcontroller). Right click on it, uninstall the driver.

Then unplug your mbed, connect it again and try to install the serial driver.

Cheers, Sam

OK, tried that and did not help. Still get "the driver could not be installed". Very frustrating!!!!

20 Sep 2012

Hi Kevin,

When you uninstalled the driver, did you check the box saying that you want to delete the software as well ?

When you uninstall the driver and plug again the mbed, does windows try to load new drivers ?

If yes, what is the result ? there should be an error for the serial port driver.

Cheers, Sam

20 Sep 2012

Samuel Mokrani wrote:

Hi Kevin,

When you uninstalled the driver, did you check the box saying that you want to delete the software as well ?

When you uninstall the driver and plug again the mbed, does windows try to load new drivers ?

If yes, what is the result ? there should be an error for the serial port driver.

Cheers, Sam

When I plug in the Mbed it does NOT show up under the serial Ports (COM & LPT). It showed up under "Portable Devices". I deleted that and after plugged the Mbed back in it I do here the windows sound and it did look like it installed a new driver but the Mbed is nowhere to be found in the Device Manager. It does show up as a hard drive under "My Computer" though. I can write programs to the Mbed, it just is not showing up as a serial port.

20 Sep 2012

Hi Kevin,

Are you sure that nothing appears in the USB section of the device manager ?

To see that, open the device manager. Expand the USB section. Then plug in your mbed. At this point the device manager should be updated with a new entry in the USB section.

Cheers, Sam

20 Sep 2012

Samuel Mokrani wrote:

Hi Kevin,

Are you sure that nothing appears in the USB section of the device manager ?

To see that, open the device manager. Expand the USB section. Then plug in your mbed. At this point the device manager should be updated with a new entry in the USB section.

Cheers, Sam

There was an entry in the USB section for "USB Mass Storage Device". Deleting that did not help. Too many hours spend trying to fix this. I just did a OS system restore from a backup disk and it works fine now. Thanks for the help trying to repair this. I don't know what exactly it was that messed up my drivers but it's working now after the system restore. This was a last resort option as now I need to setup all of my data again...

25 Mar 2016

I had the same issue, and I solved my problem by:

• remove LPCXpresso and all related drivers
  • re-install LPCXpresso (I noticed it auto use the previous registered free license, so I did not register again)
  • connecting the development board before installing the serial driver. A MBED storage showed in Windows File Manager
  • install the serial driver

Hope this help.

02 Nov 2017

Thanks. But message is still the same: "The driver could not be installed."

15 Dec 2017

Have you tried closing all apps -restarting - plugging in target -ensure it is recognised as a drive- then running installer? That worked for me on WIN 10.

19 Dec 2017

make sure you have an mbed board plugged into your computer when you are running the installer.

Also, take a look at your device manager, when you plug the board into your computer what does it show up as?