MBED and Inertial Measurement unit

12 Jun 2012

Hi,

just wanted to share some info with you: I was looking for an 6+ DOF inertial measurement unit for a research project. I invested some money in the I2C-6DOF IMU. Accelerometer reading with Arduino and MBed worked well, but i never retrieved usable data from the Gyroscope. I now found a 9-DOF IMU from a company called YEI. The IMU family is called 3-Space, and the cheapest variant is the Embedded version, which can communicate over USB, UART, SPI and I2C. Until now, I only tryed UART - worked like a charm after linking to the mbed. I am also new to the mbed and worked with Arduino/Chipkit before; I am very impressed with the ease of the mbed system. However, the 3-space system is capable of doing all the math (Kalman filter, Euler quaternation etc.) for you at high frequencies, and the best news: It is very easy to connect it to mbed. So, if you are looking for a fast (but not necessarily the cheapest) way to set up an IMU with your project, you might consider this device. Extensive documentation is provided on the homepage.

(Disclaimer: No, I don't work for that company. I am an academic who is trying to set up a motion analysis project)

27 Jun 2012

Tobias, I just got 2 of these sensors per your recommendation. Are you simply using the uart to connecto to these devices? Or did you go with SPI? Got any code to share?

28 Jun 2012

What are your needs for your project if you don't mind me asking? Just curious.

Tobias Piroth wrote:

Hi,

just wanted to share some info with you: I was looking for an 6+ DOF inertial measurement unit for a research project. I invested some money in the I2C-6DOF IMU. Accelerometer reading with Arduino and MBed worked well, but i never retrieved usable data from the Gyroscope. I now found a 9-DOF IMU from a company called YEI. The IMU family is called 3-Space, and the cheapest variant is the Embedded version, which can communicate over USB, UART, SPI and I2C. Until now, I only tryed UART - worked like a charm after linking to the mbed. I am also new to the mbed and worked with Arduino/Chipkit before; I am very impressed with the ease of the mbed system. However, the 3-space system is capable of doing all the math (Kalman filter, Euler quaternation etc.) for you at high frequencies, and the best news: It is very easy to connect it to mbed. So, if you are looking for a fast (but not necessarily the cheapest) way to set up an IMU with your project, you might consider this device. Extensive documentation is provided on the homepage.

(Disclaimer: No, I don't work for that company. I am an academic who is trying to set up a motion analysis project)

29 Jun 2012

Tobias, I just read your post in the original thread. I finally have some time this weekend and I'm going to be looking at this more closely. I'll be sure to share the code I use. The "eval" interface that Yost provides seem to show very good performance of this unit.

13 Dec 2012

Any news on this? Any code to share?

07 Jul 2014

You could check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkcXoBqLEzI