IP stack that's event driven

17 May 2012

with CMSIS RTOS and others, is there an IP stack for mbed that is interrupt/event driven rather than using a (OMG) polling loop?

18 May 2012

I think CMSIS RTOS and MBED RTOS just appeared in February! The community is struggling enough just trying to get a wrapper around LWIP that everyone likes, and that's been going on for 2 years.

I just stick Net::poll in a timer Ticker and try to forget about it.

17 May 2012

agilent mbed wrote:

I think CMSIS RTOS and MBED RTOS just appeared in February! The community is struggling enough just trying to get a wrapper around LWIP that everyone likes, and that's been going on for 2 years.

Correct analysis.

The first "mbed official" lwip repository is now 7 days old and things are going pretty well.

We have a new Ethernet driver using DMA performing very well.

I am currently working on integrating the CMSIS RTOS to get rid of the polling paradigm.

I am not going to give you a date, but we are "officially" committed at providing a solid TCP/IP networking library asap.

Cheers, Emilio

17 May 2012

Emilio ..Just to say I'm so pleased with your attention to this and I hope it works out really well. Previously I would say the only event that IP applications could expect would be a hung application. But now , with some attention to this area I hope we will have a much happier event with dependable IP on a great little device.

Well done and much appreciated.

K

18 May 2012

Kevin Hawkins wrote:

Emilio ..Just to say I'm so pleased with your attention to this and I hope it works out really well. [...] Well done and much appreciated.

Thanks, Emilio

19 May 2012

Yes... a good IP stack will make a big difference in the options for mbed users' apps. Glad to see the progress.

26 Jun 2012

Hi all,

Emilio Monti wrote:

I am not going to give you a date, but we are "officially" committed at providing a solid TCP/IP networking library asap.

We finally have officially supported mbed IP libraries:

To see the library you have to enable the beta: visit http://mbed.org/betamode/ and click 'Enable betamode'.

We are still working on the documentation, example applications and a user friendly C++ API.

Ideally, from now on, thanks to the new collaboration system, we will be able to accept "pull requests" from mbed users. This will allow us to have a centralized "official" library containing all the bug fixes and improvements contributed by the mbed community.

Cheers, Emilio

03 Aug 2012

steve childress wrote:

with CMSIS RTOS and others, is there an IP stack for mbed that is interrupt/event driven rather than using a (OMG) polling loop?

The work on the new networking stack based on the RTOS is completed:

The performance improvement is astonishing: Networking Libraries Benchmark

No more "(OMG) polling loop"! :-)

Cheers, Emilio