mbed and m3pi review

19 Dec 2011

Hi All,

Over the last few weeks I've been testing out the m3pi robot. My review of this can be seen on the DesignSpark website.

http://www.designspark.com/content/arm-powered-m3pi-mbed-robot-review

Let me know what you think,

Many Thanks Paul aka @monpjc

19 Dec 2011

Hi Paul,

Very nice presentation. I, too have the m3pi and was concerned where to find the serial slave program. Looking around for a while on the Pololu site, I was here. http://www.pololu.com/docs/0J21/10.a

Interesting figure 8 track layout. I would think the 3pi would try to make a right turn at the crossing points. But, I guess not. Yes, lots of m3pi ports are used up already. It would have been much better to have the 8 LEDS on a header and use shorting plugs if needed. That would free up 8 I/O pins.

Here is what I appended to the m3pi. 1. Sharp 10cm distance sensor to turn robot around and go other way, after seeing obstruction. 2. Use Timeout to turn robot around half way through 30 second run. 3. Use Timeout to stop robot at 30 seconds. 4. Added ID12 RFID module, so only correct tag can start robot moving. 5. Added a 4N25 opto-isolator to kill power completely after stop.

Think I'll try to add compass module with LEDS show compass direction of robot!

Have fun, donde

19 Dec 2011

Fascinating,you triggered me to buy one 4 myself. 1 question,is it full speed on 2. video or how much % of it?

19 Dec 2011

For question one: My full speed is 0.8. For question two: MBED command Timeout, I use 2 functions.

#define MAX 0.8  // I use this value most times. 1.0 is fastest.

void atfull()  // 30 seconds and stop

void athalf()  // 15 seconds and turn around go other way

03 Jan 2012

Rene Greiner wrote:

Fascinating,you triggered me to buy one 4 myself. 1 question,is it full speed on 2. video or how much % of it?

Sorry for late answer - Christmas got in the way.

First video motors are at 30%, in second video its at full 100% speed, would loot a little quicker if batt's were full - so may be little slower (-5%), but will do same track at 100% full Batt