Read Only SPI

06 May 2011

Is it possible to configure a SPI port as Read Only?

That is with no output from MISO while the input is read from MOSI

08 May 2011

Yes, as long as the device does not need prompting for data you just need to enable the chip and clock the data in.

09 May 2011

Hi Stephan. I did not explain myself well. The situation is one mbed as a SPI master talking to two or more other mbeds organized as SPI slaves with a common SSEL.

The plan is for the master to set SSEL low then send one 'address' byte that all the slaves read. During this byte read all the slave MISOs pins are set to be inputs and so nothing is sent out. This is the Read-Only mode. After the 'address' read, the slave with the matching address makes the change needed to enable the MISO function (Read-Write mode) and sends a byte stream. At the end of the byte stream the 'addressed' slave reverts to the Read-Only mode.

According to the LPC1768 manual there is provision to set P0.17 to be an Input or MISO while keeping the associated MOSI, and SCK pins in the SPI mode. A lot of other micro-controllers have the same capability.

My problem is how to make the switch between Read-Write and Read-Only when using the mbed SPI library function calls.