LCD strategy - a common interface

06 May 2011

Hi all,

With regards to the LCD stuff. I have seen a large amount of LCD variants floating around for all the different controllers.

What would be real nice is to have an interface which all of these would adhere to so that any LCD implementation could work with higher level code relying on LCD functionality.

My question basically is that does this sort of initiative already exist? Is there a reference already ?

Thanks, Serge

06 May 2011

I have tried this with my LCDWindow library. There is a common base interface available, and some implementations. I also tried to incorporate TextLCD variants, but the interfaces here are somewhat different (TextLCD works with a stream-based approach, which is somewhat difficult when doing multi-threading).

06 May 2011

OK thanks, I will have a look at it.

Is there any example code floating around for how to use LCDWindow?

Also shouldn't TextLCDBase be it in its own Library so that people who want to write compatible drivers and extend TextLCDBase dont need to pull in the entire LCDWindow project ? Also does TextLCDBase have to inherit Window ?

Thanks, Serge

06 May 2011

There is an example on my notebook page, which should show most features.

Right now, it is somewhat difficult to have libraries referring to other libraries. I actually would really like to split LCDWindow into multiple libraries, one for the base interface and one for each implementation. But this gets too tedious with the online compiler (when a library refers to another one, maybe even recursively), on importing all relations get moved to the top level, and are lost on saving again.