Books with information about mbed.

26 Nov 2010

mbed'm working with for some weeks and I know I do not understand practically anything at all ...
Finally, after losing some time trying to track, I end up not understanding the author's main idea and, for example, to really serve this method setup ().

I think the product mbed can be good, on condition that the authors write several books that explain and document the topology of software they use. I for one do not want to waste more time trying to understand each function is in the examples. If the product is "as is", I do not want it.

Regards

Emilio

26 Nov 2010

Hi Emilio

Learing to program any platform that you haven't used before is difficult, but believe me mbed is easy compared with some others - Atmel for example.

What are you having trouble with? Maybe you could post some code on the forum and ask for some help?

Stick with it, it becomes easier...

26 Nov 2010

Good morning Martin,

I understand your point of view. You defend the interests of your company, is normal, but my comment is not really for you and your team. You are emploees of a company. My comment really is directed to your boss and also perhaps for your company.

The product is good, but needs documentation. Not a few sheet of papers, but a lot of books, in paper or pdf, thit is not the problem, but I insist, a lot of books.

Regards,

Emilio

<script type="text/javascript"></script>

26 Nov 2010

Emilio

I don't see the "Mbed logo" next to Martin's name, he's therefore, as far as I can tell, like myself, not an employee of the people who make the Mbed. While employees of the makers often post to these forums, the majority of people who post here are, like yourself, Martin and I, fellow users of the Mbed.

As for the documentation, yes, there are parts where improvements can be made. As a hardware engineer of many years experience myself, coming to the Mbed was pretty straight forward. But if dev'ing software for an embedded uP target like Mbed is new to you there is a steep learning curve to progress that only good documentation can help you scale.

As a community of users we are trying to make that possible and these forums are, as it stands, currently one of the best places to start. We are all happy to help if you just ask.

regards, Andy

26 Nov 2010

Andy,

As electronic engineer with 45 years of experience in general, working in Digital Equipment Corporation about 16 years as Configurator and Technical Support level III of sales departamente in Barcelona, with about 30 sales man in the office, and also author of 3 books about PLC's, that you can find in Interner looking for my name, and also as programer of microprocessor in assembler language, and also with good knowledge of c + +, etc., I think that I am in a good position to give my opinion.

No, I am not in a steep learning curve, I am only confuse because there is not information about the topology of mbed software. The problem is not to switch a led, the problem is to comunicate via Internet this microprocessor with a computer. The stack model you use is the standard stack used by TCP/IP  protocol but there is not information of the role of classes ordered by layers, and there is not enough information of methods and his relation with the stack layers, and there is not information in general.

In my opinion, if the target of this product is people as electronic engineer like me, who wants to use this microprocssor in real aplication in the industry, your company needs to improve (a lot) the documentation.

Regards,

Emilio 

<script type="text/javascript"></script>

26 Nov 2010

Emilio,

Please stop calling it "your company". If I owned NXP I'd be rich, I don't and I'm not. Like you, I am just a user of Mbed. These forums are mainly used by users of Mbed.

If you want to grumble directly at the owners please email support@mbed.org directly and get a direct response from them.

regards,

Andy

26 Nov 2010

Thanks a lot Andy,

I will send my comments to that address.

Regards,

Emilio

27 Nov 2010 . Edited: 27 Nov 2010

Emilio,

Yes, I would just like to clarify that I do not work for mbed or Arm! If you were to look at my attempts of writing c++ code that would be obvious!

I am mainly a hardware engineer that has expanded into embedded systems recently and used the mbed as part of a university project - I have been hooked on it ever since.

mbed is a method of trying out ideas quickly and is not meant as a final design solution - If you want that level of control (and your queries and level of experience suggest you do) you can go the traditional method and just use the LPC1768 the mbed is powered from. The datasheet for this device is several hundred pages and should contain all the information you require. I don't know of any books for mbed (but an old lecturer of mine was writing one) but again I would think that these would be pitched at a lower level that you want - mbed can do quite a lot just using the APIs without getting into the nuts and bolts of how it actually works.

For more specific and advanced questions your best off posting questions on the forum as Andy suggested.

I know this isn't the answer your looking for - maybe in your case the mbed is not the right platform for you?

Regards,

Martin

30 Nov 2016

Please check the book by Toulson and Wilmshurst (now in second edition, available from Amazon and others) about the mbed. This gives all information needed for a good launch into the mbed world!

Tim

09 Mar 2017

/media/uploads/dloo3/img_2379.jpg

12 Jul 2017

reading and writing the NDEF format using wiz wiki w7500 using which library any one help me?

12 Jul 2017

asd

25 Jul 2017

asd