mbd v2 vs mbed-os v5

03 Jul 2018

Seems like this ought to have an obvious answer but feeling confused... I'm starting a new project; which version of mbed should I be using?

My project is a fairly simple CANbus/Serial device, so I don't need the fancier RTOS features of mbed-os. However, the class library with mbed-os seems more extensive with some useful things like CircularBuffer and Queue classes which I think I'm going to need. Using mbed-os is further hindered by the fact that CANbus interrupt handling seems broken by default due to mutexes in the CAN.read / CAN.write methods. These were easy enough to remove but this doesn't inspire confidence in the production-readiness of the mbed-os version.

What do people recommend? Thanks, BC

06 Sep 2018

Hi Bryan,

Here's an article explaining some of the differences between Mbed 2 and Mbed OS 5: https://os.mbed.com/docs/latest/tutorials/major-releases.html

In regards to which version you should use, that's up to you. However, Mbed OS 5 has new and existing features that are actively being developed and worked on, if that is desirable to you.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

- Jenny, team Mbed

15 Feb 2019

That link is broken.